Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One WEMC Discontinued?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One WEMC Discontinued?

I don't think the QS is a garbage product. It is not the best cash back you can get, but it's solid (and for a long time, it was the best you could easily get). That said, I don't like dealing with Capital One. Everything is computer decision based, and it's difficult to get a manual intervention for anything. Having to email the EO, get a PIN, play phone tag, etc just is not my thing -- I'd rather just move on to products that can better accomodate my profile. Spending a bunch of time begging Capital One to do something they don't really do (i.e., to give me a permanent 12% APR, WEMC, etc) could be spent on just going for a product that has what I want.

So I'd consider the value of my time and if WEMC was important, look elsewhere for it. Capital One will do nothing but frustrate you if you go searching for things that are outside of their norm.

Message 21 of 28
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I don't think the QS is a garbage product. It is not the best cash back you can get, but it's solid (and for a long time, it was the best you could easily get). That said, I don't like dealing with Capital One. Everything is computer decision based, and it's difficult to get a manual intervention for anything. Having to email the EO, get a PIN, play phone tag, etc just is not my thing -- I'd rather just move on to products that can better accomodate my profile. Spending a bunch of time begging Capital One to do something they don't really do (i.e., to give me a permanent 12% APR, WEMC, etc) could be spent on just going for a product that has what I want.

So I'd consider the value of my time and if WEMC was important, look elsewhere for it. Capital One will do nothing but frustrate you if you go searching for things that are outside of their norm.

You have Similar products from other banks ... for those reasons Capital one isn't worth the trouble ....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 22 of 28
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

+100 !!

I've closed all my Cap-1 CC accounts for the above stated reasons - exception is my GM Card which for some reason they treat me 180 degrees differently but I know its not a popular card on MyFico.

MY blacklist = Comenity, Bank of America and Capital One

Message 23 of 28
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
So Capital One sucks because they would not upgrade you to a card that doesn't exist? Sorry you were denied a CLI but they must have their reasons. Also sorry you have a terrible limit of $2650 but I doubt you'll receive much sympathy from people who are stuck at $500 limits. Bottom line here is it sounds like you don't care for cap one, so how about just close it and move on. I'm sure there is a more suitable card for you out there, good luck.

I have a Cap1 CL that has been stuck at $1,000 since I first received it in 2012 -- have repeatedly begged, pleaded with, and even appealed to the Cap1 EO to increase my CL over the years, all to no avail.  The only reasons that I keep the card are b/c it is one of my very best rewards cards (works like a Venture), with a relatively low APR at 10.15% V, and also b/c Cap1 was willing to permanently waive the AF when I talked to the EO about it last year.  So the benefits and rewards that come with the card make up for the low CL, for me personally.  YMMV from person to person of course about whether a Cap1 card has enough positive trade-offs to want to keep it, if the CL is low.

ETA:  corrected typos.

Message 24 of 28
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
I was going to say The Citi double cash because it has been issued as a WEMC as of late, the only downside I have really heard is the stingy SL's other than that it seems decent. There aren't a lot of WEMC's out there, Barclays has a few and Cap One buypower offers one but it's SL's suck and the card is not that great. The CSP your eyeing is an awesome card, I'd personally go for that and The Citi DC.

IME, I've had a mixed exp. with the Cap1 BuyPower card.  I have 2 of them, one I cold-apped for, and was pleasantly surprised to receive a starting CL of $5,000 with.  On the other hand, my other BuyPower card was a pre-approval that I apped for, and was only given a $750 CL on, although they did offer some minimal consolation of an eventual promised Credit Steps CLI to $1,250 with 5 consecutive, on-time payments.  So a mixed bag of sorts I guess, for me....

Message 25 of 28
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Just a FWIW, the GM BuyPower Card from Cap-1 is a WEMC and continues to be - that said it's known for small starting limits and the "cash" rewards are 5% put in saving toward a future GM vehicle purchase which certainly does not work for everyone, but it is a WEMC curremt offered by Cap-1.

The main thing that especially appealed to me about the BuyPower WEMC is that it is an AF-fee free WEMC -- something that can be pretty challenging to find elsewhere, if you're like me and find AF-based cards to be unappealing for the most part, lol. 

Message 26 of 28
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

Just a FWIW, the GM BuyPower Card from Cap-1 is a WEMC and continues to be - that said it's known for small starting limits and the "cash" rewards are 5% put in saving toward a future GM vehicle purchase which certainly does not work for everyone, but it is a WEMC curremt offered by Cap-1.

The main thing that especially appealed to me about the BuyPower WEMC is that it is an AF-fee free WEMC -- something that can be pretty challenging to find elsewhere, if you're like me and find AF-based cards to be unappealing for the most part, lol. 

AF's are fine if you find the perks worth it or have the spending for it.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 27 of 28
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:
AF's are fine if you find the perks worth it or have the spending for it.

True, I know that AF cards like the Citi Prestige, the Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire, etc. have a broad appeal and are extremely useful and valuable for many posters of the forum, but I guess I am kinda old-school in the credit sense in that the ideal credit cards for me personally are the kind that have low APRs + rewards, and no AFs  Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.