Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Walmart cards launching Sep 24th

tag
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Walmart cards launching Sep 24th

This would have been my jam when I was in college and right afterwards. Loved doing my grocery shopping in the middle of the night at an empty Walmart. Now I live in a place where the nearest Wally World is like a 30 minute drive away so I have to really need something from there to head that way. Way more likely to buy something on Amazon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AU

Message 61 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meach7 wrote:

I saw this in the FAQ and I didn't see any details on why it would be an issue:

If for any reason your account is not transferred to Capital One, Synchrony Bank will communicate with you as necessary to continue to administer and service your account.

Are they going to treat it as a new account and re-evaluate our credit?

Also does this mean if I have a balance I should pay it off ASAP to look more desireable to Cap1?

If you haven't gotten your letter yet, it's probably safe to say that Capital One isn't taking your account and Sync will be sending you a letter. 

Message 62 of 104
Meach7
New Contributor

I actually got the notification that the letter from CapOne is in todays mail so I guess I'll know after lunch.

Message 63 of 104
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I humbly admit that if I decide to get rid of my Amex Gold next summer (big 'if' there) I might consider the WM card for grocery pickup. 

Once the first-year promo is over there will be better options for shopping inside the store, of course. 

Also, I suspect at some point they will add a service charge for grocery pickup (there's a place for it now, although it's set to $0) and if/once they start that I'll only need a card for inside shopping, anyway.

Uncle B,

I am curious as to what would be better options for shopping inside the store?   The best I have been able to figure out is my 2% back on my Citi DC.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 64 of 104
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: 5% Cash Back with Cap One Walmart Mastercard

@Anonymous wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:
... my concern is that they will subsititue items on me. 

They will substitute, but as was said upthread, only with your approval. I regularly profit on the substitutions -- they always give better value for same price (ie, $5 tube of shaving cream replaced by $10 shaving cream brand, but pay only $5; or order pint of strawberries for $2 but they're out of pints, so given quart of strawberries for same $2 cost).

Yesterday they were out of stock on my order for 24oz blueberries ($5.98) so manager authorized GIVING me three 6oz containers. Plus if you regularly write reviews (I do) they give out lots of treats -- candy, fruit, lunchbox treats, plasticware, bottled water for the ride home, etc, etc. Then there's the $10 off coupons, offers for free delivery, and excellent complaint management. I'm a fan.

I was happy with the 3% off. The extra 2% is gravy.

So when they substitite you get charged the price for what you wanted?  That I could deal with as many of my selections are based upon cost. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 65 of 104
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@MakingProgress, best bet in store is to send an Android!😉
Message 66 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 5% Cash Back with Cap One Walmart Mastercard

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:
... my concern is that they will subsititue items on me. 

They will substitute, but as was said upthread, only with your approval. I regularly profit on the substitutions -- they always give better value for same price (ie, $5 tube of shaving cream replaced by $10 shaving cream brand, but pay only $5; or order pint of strawberries for $2 but they're out of pints, so given quart of strawberries for same $2 cost).

Yesterday they were out of stock on my order for 24oz blueberries ($5.98) so manager authorized GIVING me three 6oz containers. Plus if you regularly write reviews (I do) they give out lots of treats -- candy, fruit, lunchbox treats, plasticware, bottled water for the ride home, etc, etc. Then there's the $10 off coupons, offers for free delivery, and excellent complaint management. I'm a fan.

I was happy with the 3% off. The extra 2% is gravy.

So when they substitite you get charged the price for what you wanted?  That I could deal with as many of my selections are based upon cost. 

Yes I used to do Walmart Grocery delivery before I got my personal care assistant and any substitutes were always worth more than what I wanted. Like one time I ordered Walmart brand brown mustard and they were out of stock so they gave me Gulden's instead and they were out of small canned chicken one time so they gave me the larger cans for the same price. 

I was only not satisfied with a substitution once. I don't remember what it was but it was nothing like what I wanted. I called customer service and they credited me the full amount for it. 

Message 67 of 104
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

Uncle B,

I am curious as to what would be better options for shopping inside the store?   The best I have been able to figure out is my 2% back on my Citi DC.

If I can jump in, it depends on how your local Walmart codes for Visa/MC. In store Walmart always codes as "discount store" for AmEx & Discover, but often codes as grocery on Visa/MC, my store does. I don't have Citi DC but I have a couple cards that give me 2% on all purchases and a couple more that give me 2% on groceries. But since March I've been using my BBVA Clear Points that lets you chose one 3% category quarterly and groceries is one of the choices, plus they run periodic promos like the current one that gives you 4% on top of the 3% for all of September up to $750 spend, so that card has been my go to card for Walamrt this month for 7% rewards. Starting Oct. 11 it's back to my Walmart store card for 5% w/Walmart Pay, until BBVA runs another 4% promo.

Message 68 of 104
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@kevinlee28 not sure . Cap One seems to forgive anyone under the sun so its worth a shot to see but 3 hps may be possible. Only you can decide if its worth the risk
Message 69 of 104
kevinlee28
New Contributor

Will walmart block me too?

Hi All, i really want a Walmart store card. I see now that the card is with Cap 1, I'm currently blackballed by Cap 1 and can't get a new account from a old charged off acct ( that was paid in full) and i had a few bounced payments . 

I have been rebuilding for over a year now - purchased my 1st home (settlement on 8/20)  

just got a secured Discover card and over the weekend i got back in the Synchrony bank club ( opened a TJMaxx $1500, AtHome $2400, and Loews $300) but can't get approved wit Commenity Bank :-(

but neither here nor there - could really use a Walmart store card but i'm scared to go for it because of my cap 1 history - do you think that the Cap 1 history will affect me with the Walmart card? 

current scores: FICO 

Transunion 661

Equifax 647 

Experian 682 

Message 70 of 104
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.