Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Walmart cards launching Sep 24th

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

5% Cash Back with Cap One Walmart Mastercard

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/09/18/capital-one-walmart-rewards-credit-card-earn-5-back-...

5% back instore for a year would be a huge win for me.     The bulk of my grocery spend is in store purchases at WM, I am currently using my CITI DC for 2% back.   Even the 2% back after the year is good. 

I don't want a triple pull, but I might just do it. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 11 of 104
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: 5% Cash Back with Cap One Walmart Mastercard

If I read the details correctly the 5% for WM Grocery purchases (where you pickup outside the store) will be on-going even after the first year. 

This could be a strong option for those who don't have a dedicated 'grocery' card and use grocery pickup (or delivery) via the WM Grocery app.

More info from DoC here:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/walmart-launches-new-credit-card-with-capital-one-offers-5-back-for-o...

Message 12 of 104
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

If I read the details correctly the 5% for WM Grocery purchases (where you pickup outside the store) will be on-going even after the first year. 

This could be a strong option for those who don't have a dedicated 'grocery' card and use grocery pickup (or delivery) via the WM Grocery app.

More info from DoC here:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/walmart-launches-new-credit-card-with-capital-one-offers-5-back-for-o...

Yes I might have to start playing with grocery pickup to continue the 5% on at least some of my purchases. Having never done it my concern is that they will subsititue items on me.   I just can't see doing our big bi-weekly trip and not going into the store.   

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 13 of 104
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Better get on the phone with CS then for that $25K MC! 😝
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 14 of 104
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Yes I might have to start playing with grocery pickup to continue the 5% on at least some of my purchases. Having never done it my concern is that they will subsititue items on me.   I just can't see doing our big bi-weekly trip and not going into the store.   

@MakingProgress they only substitute with your permission; you can even set it on a per-item or per-order basis (I opt out of substitutions for my entire order).

Message 15 of 104
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Walmart cards launching Sep 24th

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Tempting, but I wish the 5% for Walmart stores are not just for the first 12 months, as that is the primary appeal of Walmart to me. If I want online, I'd just shop at Amazon. Introductory Offer periods bother me a lot.

+1

If it were a always 5% at Walmart in-store card, it would entice me out of the garden in January (after Freedom quarter ends). But 2% won't.

Message 16 of 104
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Interesting.

AU

Message 17 of 104
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wait, what! When did Cap One get Walmart???😯
Message 18 of 104
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

😁
Message 19 of 104
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I humbly admit that if I decide to get rid of my Amex Gold next summer (big 'if' there) I might consider the WM card for grocery pickup. 

Once the first-year promo is over there will be better options for shopping inside the store, of course. 

Also, I suspect at some point they will add a service charge for grocery pickup (there's a place for it now, although it's set to $0) and if/once they start that I'll only need a card for inside shopping, anyway.

Message 20 of 104
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.