Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One approved, but I need the limit higher

tag
msdraglox
Regular Contributor

Capital One approved, but I need the limit higher

OMG I just got approved for a Capital One card but the limit is $500 do you think I can call and get it increased??? or are they good with CLI??

Started at 586 EQ and 604 TU in 8/2009
565 EQ Oct 09
614 EQ Dec 09
624 EQ Feb 10 ---604 TU Jan 10
643 EQ March 10 --from lender
Current 573 TU (myfico) 632 EQ (from lender) Jan 11
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One approved, but I need the limit higher

Congrats! Smiley Happy are your current scores listed in sig updated? Did they pull all 3?

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if it's the case anymore, but even when my credit was awesome, even I could never get an increase with Cap One. I had the $500 CC just like you at the time. Instead, they advised me to apply for an additional card, which did indeed have a higher CL (but not by much), but they didn't allow the 2 CLs to merge.

I do not know the type of card you got approved for, but usually that has something to do with whether a CLI is allowed or not. Certain CapOne cards do not offer CLIs. Of course, I could be wrong! Smiley Indifferent It has been a while since I went through this with CapOne so things may be different now.

Message 3 of 17
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

DH and I bost have Crap1 with scores of 731 and 722 and about 1% UTI, they refuse to give CLI. We are at $750 though which was a 3 month CLI from 500 over two years ago. Good luck!

Message 4 of 17
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

It helps if you have another credit card with a high limit.  I think that was the reason why AMEX gave me a very high limit for my new Blue card.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for cli.  I

took me years before they gave me anything

and I always had to call them and beg.

Message 6 of 17
msdraglox
Regular Contributor

My scores posted are the current scores, I think, my last SW update two days ago said 620. I already called about what kind of account I have if its the credit step one (which gives CLI about every 4months) or the other one and they said to call back in 24hrs when more info is available. even if it stays at 500 for a little while that is fine I guess, I apped for this card to replace my crapy Best Buy RZMC which has a $300 limit and they absolutely refuse to increase and they still charge me an 80 annual fee.

Started at 586 EQ and 604 TU in 8/2009
565 EQ Oct 09
614 EQ Dec 09
624 EQ Feb 10 ---604 TU Jan 10
643 EQ March 10 --from lender
Current 573 TU (myfico) 632 EQ (from lender) Jan 11
Message 7 of 17
sooneracct
Established Member

I called on Feb 26th and they told me that they were not doing any CLI right now, they offered the opt in "over the limit" charge. And that was without even getting any personal info, so that answer was not credit based. They didnt even know who I was.

Message 8 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One approved, but I need the limit higherou

You may be stuck with a no builder card if you're not on the step program.  The highest they may raise your limit to is $750.

Message 9 of 17
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

@sooneracct wrote:

I called on Feb 26th and they told me that they were not doing any CLI right now, they offered the opt in "over the limit" charge. And that was without even getting any personal info, so that answer was not credit based. They didnt even know who I was.

Capital One hasn't done consumer-initatied CLIs for upwards of a year now.  Outside of the credit steps program, I'm not aware of anyone getting CLIs from them at all in the last several months.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.