Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One bites

tag
niquieg
New Contributor

Capital One bites

I've had my card for 4 years with a measly $500 limit; no luck with the backdoor number CLI increase and i just wanted them to bite me.
Bank of America $5000/ Alliant Credit Union $2000/ Amazon Chase $2000/ Capital One $1600/ First Premier $475
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One bites

You probably have one of their rebuilder cards that will NEVER be eligible for a CLI. I have two of them..7 and 8 yrs old...both at their original $500 limit. This was before they implimented their "Credit Steps" program that allows for regular increases on rebuilder cards.

Did you received information on this program when you opened the card? If not, you probably will remain at $500 forever.

Message 2 of 13
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@niquieg wrote:
I've had my card for 4 years with a measly $500 limit; no luck with the backdoor number CLI increase and i just wanted them to bite me.

Yeah unfortunately it seems you are stuck with one of their builder cards (lovingly called crap cards) with your history call them and ask them if they will do a product change or upgrade your card to something better. I doubt Crapital One will do anything honorable, but who knows they might and you might get lucky, otherwise you either keep it as is, or lose it. I am on the side of lose it. Good luck though, either way.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would close it, i did mine and got some crazy good cards afterwards

it won't affect your average age of account for 10 years, and guess what in 10 years your new accounts will be 10 years old too lol

seriously, average age is overrated, only what 15% of your fico? 

Message 4 of 13
niquieg
New Contributor

I'll probably close it in Dec. since I just paid my annual fee in Jan.

I called and tried to get a product change or upgrade on the card but the lady insisted on putting in a CLI for me again. Only for her to tell me i'll get a letter in the mail in 10 business days to let me know the status of the request.

We'll see what happens

Bank of America $5000/ Alliant Credit Union $2000/ Amazon Chase $2000/ Capital One $1600/ First Premier $475
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow i been reading the boards and it seems Capital One has a lot of fans ( insert sarcasm). Ya'll are making me nervous about them. I have a captial one cc. well actually it is my dads but i use it ...i pay for it. We have a clear agreement my first screw up the card will be taken away from me. He gave me this card bc i couldnt get credit. And it really is a test for myself to make sure i have corrected all the past mistakes i made. I have had it since Aug. and i been making all my payments on time and at least 4x the min. due.

but seeing how they have slashed some ppl CL and raised rates... ya'll now have me praying to the credit gods that nothing like that hit me while this card is under my control lol

Message 6 of 13
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

wow i been reading the boards and it seems Capital One has a lot of fans ( insert sarcasm). Ya'll are making me nervous about them. I have a captial one cc. well actually it is my dads but i use it ...i pay for it. We have a clear agreement my first screw up the card will be taken away from me. He gave me this card bc i couldnt get credit. And it really is a test for myself to make sure i have corrected all the past mistakes i made. I have had it since Aug. and i been making all my payments on time and at least 4x the min. due.

but seeing how they have slashed some ppl CL and raised rates... ya'll now have me praying to the credit gods that nothing like that hit me while this card is under my control lol

Technically it will hit your dad Smiley Happy but know what you mean. Hopefully not, but why doesn't he put you as an AU instead of giving you a card of his own to use, this way in the long run it will help you build up some history of your own so you can get a chance to go back on your own and get good credit. Just a thought or did you already mean you are the AU on his card?

Message Edited by Guardian on 03-13-2009 06:45 PM

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the advice...i had not even thought about that. it would make me feel good..cause right now even though i am proud of myself for not screwing up...i get kinda annoyed that i am making him look good to the credit people LOL
Message 8 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cap One is a classic building/ rebuilding card. They might not be your bestest buddies for life, but they will help you get to a better stage in your credit life, if you treat them right.

Some Cap One cards grow with you; some don't; and most people find out the difference the hard way.

Your best bet with this card is to plan to pay it off every month. Use it as much as you like, but think of it as a debit card: don't use it unless you have money in the bank to pay it off immediately, or with the very next paycheck.

Don't ever get beholden to anyone, especially a credit card company. If you want to play the 0% game and so forth, always have the money first in savings, so that you can pay off your cards at a moment's notice. Don't let them have power over you.

With any rebuilder card, my advice is to think of them like the training wheels that your parents bolted on to your first bicycle. They keep you from crashing and burning too badly while learning to ride, and they rescue you if you get a bit too adventurous, but sooner or later, it's time to take them off and pedal away under your own power.

So don't get emotionally attached to them: just use them for what they're good at, and be prepared to move on when you're done with them. Think of them as the rebound boyfriend. Smiley Wink The real thing is still out there, waiting.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-13-2009 06:54 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 13
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Exactly! As much as this might sound wrong, you need to adopt an attitude of use them while they serve their purpose and lose them before they drag you down and hold you back. Sounds mean but its the only way to build your credit, grow it and get better credit and move forward to where you can be picky as to what you want and need.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.