cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One cash advance limit - totally arbitrary, right?

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Capital One cash advance limit - totally arbitrary, right?

Ok, I swear, I'm not looking for a cash advance, I just like to know where I stand. 

My $5,250 WMC Quicksilver started life as a $300 QS1 with a $150 cash advance limit. Through CLI's and an account combination, the limit ended up where it is today. The cash advance limit has been stuck at $300 since the account combination. I would have thought the PC to the Quicksilver WMC would put it more in line with the limit, but apparently not. 

So today I log onto my mom's Captial One account (Platinum card that started out at $500, then got a $3k CLI for credit steps) and I see her cash limit on her card is 100% of the card. Whut? 

So here I am, less than 6 percent of the credit line, while she could have a nice weekend in Vegas Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One cash advance limit - totally arbitrary, right?

Different cards have difference percent you can use for cash advances with Cap1.  I have a 20k venture where I can take 50% of it as a cash advance being 10k..  I have a platinum now a QS that I pc'ed a very old card and  I my cash advance limit I believe is 20% of the CL

Message 2 of 7
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I've never taken out a cash advance in my life and have no plans to, but I've noticed that even my cards with similar limits have widely different cash advance limits. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I guess it varies a lot by lender and card product.

Message 3 of 7
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have some cap 1 cards that have o cash limit, some have 50% and some have 100% of limit. It all depends on the card or their logic lol
Message 4 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

My Capital One QS MasterCard at one time had a cash line equal to the credit line (back when the CL was $720, and the card was HSBC).  With the next CLI I got (which was after the card became Capital one), the cash line never moved again.

The same goes for my Quicksilver Visa Signature... I was assigned a $5k credit line and $2500 cash advance line when the account was opened; I've received two CLIs since then and both times my cash advance line has never been adjusted.  I now have a credit line of $8k, and a cash advance line of $2500.

I've never tried to get the cash advance line changed with Capital One, but if you have a need it might be an option.  I know many years ago Citi (then "Citibank") would change your cash advance line upon request (at least they did for me).

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How the No Hassle checks dealt with? As cash advance or balance transfers? The blank checks, I mean, that you can fill out and deposit in your bank account. I've never done a cash advance, but from the website it says you can do a balance transfer this way.

Message 6 of 7
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

I have a Quicksilver Visa that started off as a "regular" Visa back when they had to old green marble look & was converted when I wanted to cancel the account for something else better with rewards. At the time I went through the C1 executive relations dept & they added the 1.5 percent cash back...which  they later changed the card type. All the while, I've maintained a 8.4 APR & 100% cash limit available without them ever decreasing it !

I currently have $8500 CL on that card, but it started off @ $2500 (8/2000).

SisterGirl
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.