cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One collections calling my home constantly after being late a week.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One collections calling my home constantly after being late a week.

Haven't been on here in a while.  Had to pop in and ask something...

I was away on vacation and thought I had everything that need to be paid (gas, insurance, electric, credit cards, etc)  up to date before I left.  Somehow the Capital One payment for the month slipped by me.  When I got home the payment was 7 days overdue and I was getting ridiculously hounded by a credit collections agency wanting to know when and how much my payment was going to be.  

Is it just me or does this happen to anyone that is a little late with a Cap One payment? It's kind of crazy.

Also, the outsourced collection person was from India or somewhere and could not understand basic English.. .or speak it.   I have no problem with outsourcing... but when they have the power to adversly affect  something as valuble as my credit score ... they better know how to speak English!

I mean, it was my fault for being a little late, first time it happened... but come on... it's a $1000 limit card with a $200 something balance and I've been with them for 3 years or so.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One collections calling my home constantly after being late a week.

@Anonymous wrote:

Haven't been on here in a while.  Had to pop in and ask something...

I was away on vacation and thought I had everything that need to be paid (gas, insurance, electric, credit cards, etc)  up to date before I left.  Somehow the Capital One payment for the month slipped by me.  When I got home the payment was 7 days overdue and I was getting ridiculously hounded by a credit collections agency wanting to know when and how much my payment was going to be.  

Is it just me or does this happen to anyone that is a little late with a Cap One payment? It's kind of crazy.

Also, the outsourced collection person was from India or somewhere and could not understand basic English.. .or speak it.   I have no problem with outsourcing... but when they have the power to adversly affect  something as valuble as my credit score ... they better know how to speak English!

I mean, it was my fault for being a little late, first time it happened... but come on... it's a $1000 limit card with a $200 something balance and I've been with them for 3 years or so.  

So you're saying that you were never even 30 days late on this account and Cap 1 sent it to collections?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep.  It was due on the 10th and I started receiving phone calls (8 total) starting 2 days ago.

Message 3 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's not uncommon, especially in today's economy. I may be wrong in my statistic, but I believe they are seeing 10%-20% default rates and contacting the customer early may go a long way in preventing further lates.

Message 4 of 12
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

That's kind of aggressive. Makes me wonder how needy THEY are. I'll make sure I always pay my Cap One on time in full so that their hounds will leave me alone.  

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just called and spoke to a someone... evidently that is what they due with late payments.  Goes to collections the next business day.  Crazy.  

Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

In-house collections, maybe?

AT&T screwed up our last payment when we switched phone service to Comcast, and their in-house collections (also foreign) drove us nuts. But it didn't go to a collection agency, and it was certainly never reported.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just called and spoke to a someone... evidently that is what they due with late payments.  Goes to collections the next business day.  Crazy.  

THE NEXT DAY!!!!  wow!  that's incredible.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was reminded of all the calls I got as a teenager from a collection agency  after I defaulted on some Columbia House and BMG Music contracts.  Yes, I just dated myself : )  

Message 9 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Yeah, Cap 1 (overall) is hurting.

The biggest flag that I have seen (not counting your recent experience) is that they bought Chevy Chase bank.   Since then, they have been sending numerous offers to my son who has a Cap 1 card.  The offer is to pay him $200 CASH **just* for opening up a checking account with Chevy.   The account is free and no minimums.   I think they want a direct deposit once a month.  The offer initially started with $50 cash for opening an account.

Anytime a bank offers outrageous deals, it's a sign they are in trouble.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.