Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One denied CLI

tag
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Capital One denied CLI

So I pulled the trigger requesting a credit increase. I got the 10 day letter. Well they sent email advising it was declined. Some of the reasons: credit score 692 EQ, number of inquiries (2) Really??, and delinquencies- the only baddie is Macy's and a few mortgage lates from over a year ago... Really Cap 1. I'm paying the balance and it's going in the sock drawer! Mad as the devil but glad it's a soft pull.
Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One denied CLI

@gtnitright wrote:
So I pulled the trigger requesting a credit increase. I got the 10 day letter. Well they sent email advising it was declined. Some of the reasons: credit score 692 EQ, number of inquiries (2) Really??, and delinquencies- the only baddie is Macy's and a few mortgage lates from over a year ago... Really Cap 1. I'm paying the balance and it's going in the sock drawer! Mad as the devil but glad it's a soft pull.

Capital One is a funny critter - they either love you or hate you with no logic that I can see. If you read through my old posts (not that you'd want to) you'll see that I've been a big defender of Capital One as they have helped a lot of people rebuild with a moderte AF, and not by charging "CreditOne or First Premier" fees and interest rates. Having said that, they are maddingly inconsiderate of most card holders once they have re-established good credit.

I've closed 3 accounts with Capital One (Platinum, HSBC converted to Cap-1 and Sony) because they refuse to increase credit limits to reasonable levels. The HSBC the they balanced  chased me from a $2000 CL to $705 when I came in to Capital One with a $700 balance from HSBC - I instantly closed and paid the card. I have more than a few cards today with 5 figure credit limits, the one Capital One card I have left (QS) they refuse to increase no matter what, always some lame "sub-prime" excuse. I spoke to the EO folks through facebook, they asked for a full financial statement and 1040's - I told them to kiss my grits. I wouldn't give that information to AmEx and I sure won't give it to Capital One when I have a pocketful of other options. Today CLI requests from Capital One is a "hobby", once a month I hit the over buttom, once a month 2 days later they send a decline letter - I don't care I no longer use the card for anything.

As I've said many times credit cards are just a tool for my convenience - if the effort outweighs the reward, I move on.

Message 2 of 4
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I got a $500 CLI after contacting the EO via Facebook. I requested $1500 after being denied for not enough card usage.

Both my cards were the first major CCs I got and both are my lowest limit cards.

If they don't grow with me I'll close them at the 2 year mark and make up the loss of CL with a CLI from BECU or Barclay.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 4
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

why do you get upset with Capital One for somethigng you did? Mortgage lates are not treated kindly especially that soon. Make sure you pay things on time and you will get a CLI

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.