Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One graduation

tag
TimeLBK
Regular Contributor

Capital One graduation

I've been helping my father build up his credit. 6 months ago he was approved for the Cap One Platinum for $300. Consistent on-time payments and today, he graduated to $500. Now, that card is upgradable to the QS.  I heard that he can have 2 Cap One starter cards. Now should he, (A) Upgrade to the QS and then apply for another Platinum or (B) Apply for a QS?

Discover IT: $0/$200
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One graduation

Upgrade that card to  a QS. Then check pre approvals for Amex, Discover, and Chase to see if he has any pre approval. Another Platinum should be last resort. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
WorkingHard56
Valued Member

That is good news it graduated.

I have a Cap One Secured card and after hearing a few things , I called and asked if my card could ever graduate and I was told no.
Message 3 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Great job! So it sounds like it wasn’t a secured card that graduated, but rather a starter card that was on credit steps like mine. Just so you know, this card is bucketed and won’t grow large, but it’s serving it’s current purpose. I would PC this to a Quicksilver so he can get some cash back rewards and take a look at other lenders. Discover and Amex come to mind, since they are friendly and generous towards new thin files. You can also check their prequalification sites first before applying to see what offers are available. Check those out and let us know what comes up!

Message 4 of 9
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

The next card Cap1 will offer has an annual fee.

keep checking the pq sites and wait on Disco.

Good luck and good on you!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 5 of 9
TimeLBK
Regular Contributor

Actually this Cap One QS has no annual fee.

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Discover IT: $0/$200
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Huh?

Capital One has QS, SavorOne, and VentureOne that all have no AF. Usually if you start off with one of Capital One's lower cards and manage it well, you will get approved for the either of the One cards or a regular QS without any hassle

Message 7 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Huh?

Capital One has QS, SavorOne, and VentureOne that all have no AF. Usually if you start off with one of Capital One's lower cards and manage it well, you will get approved for the either of the One cards or a regular QS without any hassle

@Anonymous  I believe they are saying next card OP may qualify for is QS1  before they qualify for the cards you mentioned. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Huh?

@Anonymous  I believe they are saying next card OP may qualify for is QS1  before they qualify for the cards you mentioned. 

This seems unlikely though. The way Capital One has arranged their product stack, you're meant to go from secured/Plat/QS1 -> QS/One cards -> premium AF cards. 

As long as you manage your first card correctly, 6-12 months down the line you are meant to be able to get to the second tier provided you haven't demonstrated extra risk by taking on a bunch of new accounts and your scores are in the mid-upper 600s. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.