cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One just screwed up my account today.

tag
HiiiPoWeR
Regular Contributor

Capital One just screwed up my account today.

I called Capital One today for a simple card replacement and the rep accidentally closed my entire credit account, and it can't be reopened because the rep reported as fraudulent. I spoke with the manager over at the fraud department and they apologized on behalf of the rep and said they will have to open a new account with a NEW TRADELINE sometime next week. My score is about to take a big hit because this was my oldest & largest credit line.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One just screwed up my account today.

Sorry about the mess up, what a bummer!  I would try to get it escalated to a supervisor if they indeed made the mistake.  The account will still report for 10 years so you won't take a huge hit unless your utilization sky rockets due to losing available credit.  Hopefully call back and try to have it reinstated as sounds like they made the mistake and Cap1 has opened cards in the past for people even if they closed them(being customer up to some time period) as they did this for me years and years ago, but obviously policies change possibly. 

Message 2 of 40
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yeah... ^^ agree with above; escalate this up to the supervisory level at least...
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 40
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Sorry OP,   ..That is horrible. I guess for any card replacements I will try to do online if possible.

I would go with what CC said about escalating to a Supervisor.

sure hope it works out for you.

Message 4 of 40
HiiiPoWeR
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Sorry about the mess up, what a bummer!  I would try to get it escalated to a supervisor if they indeed made the mistake.  The account will still report for 10 years so you won't take a huge hit unless your utilization sky rockets due to losing available credit.  Hopefully call back and try to have it reinstated as sounds like they made the mistake and Cap1 has opened cards in the past for people even if they closed them(being customer up to some time period) as they did this for me years and years ago, but obviously policies change possibly. 

Thanks, but no, they are removing the entire tradeline from my credit report and there is nothing they can do about it but create a new tradeline with a new account according to the manager in the fraud department. 

Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

doesn't closed account stay on your CR for 10 years?

Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where there is a will, there is a way. I think you just need to find someone that wants to help you. It might be the EO. Run of the mill CapOne employees, even supervisors, don’t seem to be empowered to do much. I wouldn’t give up.

If all else failed, I’d just tell them to leave it closed and that I wasn’t interested in having their card in my wallet anymore.
Message 7 of 40
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry OpSmiley Sad

I would love to see the transcript of this phone convo that got asking for a card replacement to result in a fraudulent card being suspected , closed, and account being taken entirely off a credit report! Overkill and a half and holy fico what power that CSR hasSmiley Sad.
Message 8 of 40
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@HiiiPoWeR wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Thanks, but no, they are removing the entire tradeline from my credit report and there is nothing they can do about it but create a new tradeline with a new account according to the manager in the fraud department. 

This doesnt make any sense.  I would be calling back..  Why would they remove the tradeline that make no sense at all as that isnt accurate reporting...

Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct. Removal of the tradeline would violate accurate reporting laws. I would escalate to your AG if this truly is the case.
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.