cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One just screwed up my account today.

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One just screwed up my account today.

I suppose if OP was to engage in litigation, it could be used as precedent but that's not happening here.
Also, the case involves removal after a delinquency was reported, so not really a parallel here.
It's probably a fraud block.
I would not jump this gun, because CSRs are not equipped to answer this particular type of questions, neither are CSR working at CRA.
This is a process that plays entirely in the background, and trying to fix it now would be like taking cookies out of the oven before you even put them in because you're afraid you'll burn them

This most likely will not be reported as new account because it's not a new account.
CSR going to CSR. That cannot be helped.
Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't see why they cannot restore the account. Closures, fraud indicators, account locks, etc are just flags in a database. Nothing really gets deleted, just made inactive. They keep that history in case you actually closed the account and become a customer years later, so they can see what you've done with them in the past. If you would have burned them in a BK for 20K, they'd keep that info.

Also, history can be moved to a different account. When your card is compromised, you get a brand new account number, but retain your history. Hmmmm. How's that possible? They can keep the previous number marked as compromised, and attach your history to a NEW account. They do it daily.

Here's a radical approach that requires luck, but if successful, could pay off big. It can also get the CSR fired, however, if you don't want that. I tried it once with a local bank on another issue, and bang, lucky I  was, and connected. The COO was out of the office,  but took care of the problem when he got back. I got my problem resolved, and got the bank manager in trouble.

Look up executive names at Capital One. For instance,  Richard D Fairbank is the CEO of Capital One. I'd go for COO. Try to find on their website any email address. Then find the naming convention, for instance, if the naming convention is first initial.lastname, then Richard Fairbank's email address could be r.fairbank@capitalone.com.  If you can get the naming convention, you at least have a shot. You need to construct a good email, explain EVERYONE told you there is nothing they can do, and you need a can-do customer service attitude for your problem. Tell him/her how great Capital One is, but how disappointed you are with customer service for this issue, etc. Explain what happened. 

Good luck.

Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't see why they cannot restore the account. Closures, fraud indicators, account locks, etc are just flags in a database. Nothing really gets deleted, just made inactive. They keep that history in case you actually closed the account and become a customer years later, so they can see what you've done with them in the past. If you would have burned them in a BK for 20K, they'd keep that info.

Compliance and regulatory compliance - banks have piles of this stuff and have to show their systems are robust and that data can't be lost or altered out of bounds.  Likely the database locks the record when the fraud alert gets placed.

Good luck to the original poster.  Would love to see a follow up in this thread as this evolves.

Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Compliance and regulatory compliance - banks have piles of this stuff and have to show their systems are robust and that data can't be lost or altered out of bounds.  Likely the database locks the record when the fraud alert gets placed.

Good luck to the original poster.  Would love to see a follow up in this thread as this evolves.

And when there are issues that require manual fixes,  as long as the fix is documented properly, it can be done. So if they get audited, they have documentation to show the fix.

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing a manual fix and properly documenting it does sound reasonable and should pass any bank audit requirements- however, few employees want or even know how to think for themselves these days and rather just 'follow orders' like automatons.  Still, I agree it's definitely worth trying; I often get very different answers as to what is possible depending on who is answering the phone that day.  Certainly can't hurt to try.

Message 25 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Doing a manual fix and properly documenting it does sound reasonable and should pass any bank audit requirements- however, few employees want or even know how to think for themselves these days and rather just 'follow orders' like automatons.  Still, I agree it's definitely worth trying; I often get very different answers as to what is possible depending on who is answering the phone that day.  Certainly can't hurt to try.

Agree. A compromised account is a closed account, and a new account is created with the old history attached, a new CC number,  and a new card in the mail. Not looking to restore the old account number. Just the history due to THEIR error.

Had OP asked to close the account and then called back to reopen it,  no way. That should never be allowed. But that's not what happened. 

It is worth a shot, but might not work.

Message 26 of 40
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

Haven’t I read on here that this is how Synchrony also handles fraud accounts? They close the original account entirely, and create a new account with all the history of the original? Meaning that after everything cycles through-there’s no impact to the credit report as all the account history is reported on the newly created account?

I know this isn’t an actual fraud situation, but it sounds like Capital One is doing the same thing that Synchrony does.

My apologies if I don’t have that right but I thought I saw a few posts about it.

I would wait and see how the new TL reports. Anything they do report has to be accurate, so I would think that the new TL needs to report the whole history to be compliant with that. But I’m not a lawyer.

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And when there are issues that require manual fixes,  as long as the fix is documented properly, it can be done. So if they get audited, they have documentation to show the fix.

Yeah, probably.  But the corrective action probably has to be signed off by someone with authority, perhaps also a compliance officer, and if a computer system problem, by the CTO/CIO so they know and then stored for decades or so.

Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree. A compromised account is a closed account, and a new account is created with the old history attached, a new CC number,  and a new card in the mail. Not looking to restore the old account number. Just the history due to THEIR error.

Agreed, this is what should have happened. This is how Discover handled my issue of actual fraudulant purchase. Kept the same account age etc. And how any CCC should handle said situation.

But it sounds like the CSR made a permanent mistake, when all the OP wanted was a replacement due to damage or whatever. Possibly was a nerw hire for such a thing to happen. But for them not ebing able to rectify this? If it indeed wasn't his fault, i see no reason they couldn't issue a new card and create new account without having Apply for a new card, which will cost them 3 new HP's.

OP you have to decide how important this is to you, and it will requrie some serious effort on your part to continue this persuit.

Personally, I'd simply walk away and never consider them again. After a recent snafu with Cap1 over the newly aquired Walmart account I've SD'd the card and have no plans to ever use it again! I'm keeping it open simply for the TL and age, but once I aquire the new card I'm after I plan to close it end of next year. 

Message 29 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed, this is what should have happened. This is how Discover handled my issue of actual fraudulant purchase. Kept the same account age etc. And how any CCC should handle said situation.

But it sounds like the CSR made a permanent mistake, when all the OP wanted was a replacement due to damage or whatever. Possibly was a nerw hire for such a thing to happen. But for them not ebing able to rectify this? If it indeed wasn't his fault, i see no reason they couldn't issue a new card and create new account without having Apply for a new card, which will cost them 3 new HP's.

OP you have to decide how important this is to you, and it will requrie some serious effort on your part to continue this persuit.

Personally, I'd simply walk away and never consider them again. After a recent snafu with Cap1 over the newly aquired Walmart account I've SD'd the card and have no plans to ever use it again! I'm keeping it open simply for the TL and age, but once I aquire the new card I'm after I plan to close it end of next year. 

Major card players aren't as plentiful as others. You can walk away and never deal with them again, or try to get the problem fixed. You didn't close your account, the CSR made a mistake. I would try to fix it and get a new card without having to apply, and have your history restored. Is it worth the effort? Only you can decide. 

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.