cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One opened the door for me (secured). Should I enter?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Capital One opened the door for me (secured). Should I enter?

I burned Capital One pretty bad in my BK that was discharged in June. We're inferno type of burned. I checked their pre-qualification page for the hell of it tonight and was surprised to see they have two offers for me. Both are secured cards. One is the Platinum and the other is their Quicksilver. Reading their info about these cards, I can deposit up to $1000 for the Platinum card's limit. They offer up to $3000 for the Quicksilver. They aren't great offers but they are a start. I'd probably go with the Quicksilver if I accept their offer. I've read posts that say it will graduate, some say it no longer does then others that say it now graduates again. Any recent data points? 

I don't need the card but I am looking to replace two of my secured cards that won't graduate (Open Sky and Andrews). I also know that Capital One cards can grow nicely so I think pushing that door open can be beneficial. 

Current scores are 652-679. Almost 3 months since DC. Have four secured cards and one SSL. One card is reporting UTI of 1%. SSL is at 67%. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Gollum
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One opened the door for me (secured). Should I enter?

@masscredit wrote:

I burned Capital One pretty bad in my BK that was discharged in June. We're inferno type of burned. I checked their pre-qualification page for the hell of it tonight and was surprised to see they have two offers for me. Both are secured cards. One is the Platinum and the other is their Quicksilver. Reading their info about these cards, I can deposit up to $1000 for the Platinum card's limit. They offer up to $3000 for the Quicksilver. They aren't great offers but they are a start. I'd probably go with the Quicksilver if I accept their offer. I've read posts that say it will graduate, some say it no longer does then others that say it now graduates again. Any recent data points? 

I don't need the card but I am looking to replace two of my secured cards that won't graduate (Open Sky and Andrews). I also know that Capital One cards can grow nicely so I think pushing that door open can be beneficial. 

Current scores are 652-679. Almost 3 months since DC. Have four secured cards and one SSL. One card is reporting UTI of 1%. SSL is at 67%. 

Secured Capital One cards seem unlikely to "grow nicely:"

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

The "grow nicely" part is probably for unsecured credit cards.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 2 of 14
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

IMHO you have enough secured cards already. Cap 1 let me back in with an unsecured platinum after 1 year post bk7 dc. I burned them pretty good on multiple cards. the unsecured platinum card they gave me had a baby sl of 300 but after 5 months i pc'd to QS and they gave me an automatic cli to 1800,  5 months more and it was 2k, ymmv.

IMHO just cool your heels and wait until after 1 year post bk dc and they might give you an unsecured card.

My scores were about where yours are.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Being so fresh out of BK. Pick and chose. Open and close. Is not the way to rebuild. Keep what you have and in a year. Then its time to look at better cards. Its the revolving accounts that build credit. Name on the card means nothing. Garden for a year. Let them grow and do their thing. The hits you took to get the present cards need to chill and rebound. Slow and steady wins the race. Took me 3 yrs to get to 5 decent cards for a BK'er.

Message 4 of 14
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

You might have a better deal getting in with Discover, check their pre quals. Your scores should get you an unsecured card either the Chrome or Cash Back. Even Chase might let you in with a Freedom card or the Slate Edge.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

You've been given a lot of good advice already, from @Mdowning30 @FireMedic1 @SUPERSQUID @Gollum I agree with each of them.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the advice and good info in that link!  I tried the pre-qualification page just after my DC to see what the results would be. They had nothing for me at the time. I've also tried Discover just to see what they'd say (they were burned also). Nothing. I believe I'm on the blacklist with Chase. One of their cards was included in the BK. 

I think I'll just sit tight with what I have and allow them to grow. And you're right, I do have enough secured cards. My TD Bank card should graduate in a few months. Andrews might graduate the middle of next year. I was kind of excited to see a little more forward movement. I guess it's time to wait for decent unsecured cards to become available.

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 14
Bill77
Regular Contributor

I would look into BofA secured cards because they have a good track record of graduating to unsecured.

Message 8 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I'd definitely wait and see how your credit grows, and perhaps the two secured cards will graduate. 

BTW Cap One does not "grow nicely". At least not on their secured/starter cards. Those will most likely be bucketed and grow very little, if any.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I'd definitely wait and see how your credit grows, and perhaps the two secured cards will graduate. 

BTW Cap One does not "grow nicely". At least not on their secured/starter cards. Those will most likely be bucketed and grow very little, if any.

My previous Cap1 cards grew to the $10K-$15K range. Two were combined to $25K. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.