Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One pre-approval question

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Capital One pre-approval question

Every now and then I make my rounds and do pre-qual checks for all the major providers. I just checked with Capital One and I have three offers, this is the first time I've ever received anything other than "we're sorry you have no offers".

With Cap One are these guaranteed approvals if I apply? I have an offer for the Platinum Prestige, the Venture One, and the Quicksilver. The thing is, I already have all three of these cards, BUT my pre-approval offers all have much better interest rates. Here are my current rates and what the offer states for each card:

Platinum Prestige - 18.9/14.9

Venture One - 22.9/15.9

Quicksilver (I have two) 24.9/22.9 and the offer is 17.9

Instead of applying if I call and mention these pre-approval's, will they lower my interest rates on my current cards to match the offers? I really don't need any of these cards, so this seems like the best option. Would they do it?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One pre-approval question

I would go ahead and give them a call and ask them if a lower APR is available for your accounts. You can always mention the pre approval, it won't hurt to say it. There's no point in applying for it since you got the card already. 

Message 2 of 8
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Called customer service and was told that I would need to have offers of lowering my APR for my current cards, she checked and I didn't so she wouldn't lower anything. I then called the EO and after reviewing my accounts she said she would have to investigate further and get back to me.

On an unrelated note, I mentioned how it would be great if Cap One let you transfer limits and she said that's something they have requested and are waiting to hear back on. She said, at least in terms of the EO, they would be "elated" if Cap One finally started offering that again. No time frame or anything but it was good to hear that it's something they might be considering.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you shop around for preapprovals without being mailed one or requesting a credit pull first?

ThanksSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long was the account opened? It might be because of that.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually google  pre approved/qualified offers for particular cards (i.e) capital one, citi, discover etc. So far noone has any for me but I'm gone keep trying.!!!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How did you shop around for preapprovals without being mailed one or requesting a credit pull first?

ThanksSmiley Happy

many of the banks have a check for prequalified offers button (by varying names).  In which case they do a soft pull to see if you are prequalified for any of their cards.

Message 7 of 8
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ThanksSmiley Happy

I just google (bank name) pre qual.

Here's the link for the Cap One pre qual, look at the bottom for the "Find out in 60 seconds" button.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.