Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One purchase checks?

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Capital One purchase checks?

I just came across a blog post from 2018 which stated that Capital One offers three types of checks:  BT, cash advance, and purchase.  Apparently the grace period still applies when you use these purchase checks.  I'm not sure how they work but I'd imagine you can just write a check to any business that doesn't take credit cards.  I dunno if you still get points for these purchases but that would be just gravy.

Do they still send these out if you ask, or did they get rid of these?  Do they give you a big box of them, or just a few sheets of paper?  I'm looking for an alternative for the "Send a check to anyone" feature that disappeared a while ago (for BTs).  And the grace period is making these checks look very attractive.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One purchase checks?

It's the same check. Capital One calls it "Access checks". They are generally called convenience checks.

Access Checks
We may provide you with Access Checks. If we do, we
will tell you at the time if we consider them purchases,
Cash Advances or Special Transfers

Source

I would not trust that article. I would just ask Capital One directly for their terms. 

Message 2 of 6
core
Valued Contributor

Your quote does seem to imply that they may treat some checks as purchases.  And I found some info on this short page from Cap One which says:

You'll earn rewards on most purchases (purchase checks, purchase credits, travelers' check purchases, cash advances, access checks, and cash equivalent transactions don't earn rewards).

The way that's written leads me to believe that purchase checks are not the same thing as access checks?  Otherwise I wonder why they would list both there.   What has me confused is the part about "we will tell you at the time if we consider them purchases".  Does that mean you call them up and ask for some checks and you only find out how they can be used after you receive them?  Nah can't be; that's rather convoluted.  I would think you'd have to specify which kind you wanted from the start, so they could turn you down or whatever right away.

Yeah I guess I just need to contact Capital One.  But they don't have secure mail anymore (?) so I'll have to use chat, and waiting on some dude who types at like 5 wpm is not fun.

Message 3 of 6
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@core wrote:

1. Otherwise I wonder why they would list both there. 

2. What has me confused is the part about "we will tell you at the time if we consider them purchases". 

This is how I interpret it:

1. They make sure they cover everything. Otherwise, people will say "But it said access check and not purchase check, I did not know purchase checks are the same as access check. That is false advertising. I should get my reward."

I mean, if you read news articles about Capital One Access checks, you're sure to find a class-action lawsuit.

2. They will tell you at the time of purchase (or when the purchase posts).

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What's  2018?Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
core
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

What's  2018?Smiley Wink

It's a place where I can still use my Blispay card.

BTW I haven't yet contacted Cap One.  I thought they had chat but I guess not.  I'll call this evening.  If they just arbitrarily decide what's a cash advance AFTER I write the check that's a bit silly.  And wow I just thought of what happens if they deny it after the fact; I'll get a bounced check fee.  Ugh.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.