Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One's Blacklist

tag
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Capital One's Blacklist

I had a Capital One card many years ago: charged off (about $700), no longer on my credit report, never paid it because it was sold to a CA.

Should I apply again now or will that past charge off result in an automatic decline?

I hate to waste an inquiry.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One's Blacklist

@missypants wrote:

I had a Capital One card many years ago: charged off (about $700), no longer on my credit report, never paid it because it was sold to a CA.

Should I apply again now or will that past charge off result in an automatic decline?

They do blacklist.  Fortunately, though, if you are on their blacklist they do not even pull your credit report.

YMMV.

Message 2 of 10
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@missypants wrote:

They do blacklist.  Fortunately, though, if you are on their blacklist they do not even pull your credit report.

YMMV.

That is exactly what happened to me...minewas a CO, but I did pay it back in 04.  (falling off the last report this July)  Tried for the card again...NOPE!  But, as 06 said...they didn't pull my report.

There's other fish in the sea...try for another card elsewhere....

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 10
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Thanks BungalowMo, I will do just that!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@missypants wrote:

YMMV.

That is exactly what happened to me...minewas a CO, but I did pay it back in 04.  (falling off the last report this July)  Tried for the card again...NOPE!  But, as 06 said...they didn't pull my report.

There's other fish in the sea...try for another card elsewhere....

Gotta be vigilent, too, because CrapOne likes to invent stories about how you owe them money when, in fact, you never ever had any type of account with them much less a delinquent one.

When they told me I was declined for having a negative history with CrapOne, the lady I spoke with specifically told me, "The account was sold long ago to a collection agency.  By the way, even if you do pay this off you'll still remain on our blacklist."

Message 5 of 10
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Hey missy...one more question.....how old is this card??  I'm guessing this is your only one as well, right?

I just mentioned this to another member who has a similar scenerio....have you been with your bank long??  If you have a nice history & a checking and/or savings, maybe try with them.  If it weren't for my bank visa, I wouldn't be on the upturn with the limits I've received since then.

What do your FICO's look like these days?? 

*Edit....just saw your sig block!  Smiley Happy  I think those #'s should get you in the 'hood of a $2500 card.  As long as any baddies are well on the way off your reports.

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 02-01-2010 06:36 PM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 10
dcw0405
New Contributor

I had a credit card with Capital One that was opened in 2002.  LONG story short, it ended up with 120+, 90, 60, 30 day derogs and that acct became restricted in 2007 I believe (maybe 2006).  I finally paid it off though, even though the account was closed, it was still being reported to the credit bureaus.  Last year, I was able to open another credit card with Capital One BUT I pay an annual fee of $39.00 for it.  I know that an annual fee is bad but, is has a 7% interest rate, and I use it to help build my credit.  And it has helped significantly.  When my credit gets good enough, I'll simply tell them I want to cancel the card bc of the annual fee and maybe then they'll get rid of it for me.  Anyhoo, you may be able to get a card w/ an annual fee.

Starting Score (01/31): EQ: 609; TU: 641 EXP: 641
Current Score (09/02): EXP 724; TU: 710; EQ: 700
Goal Score:Over 750, PLEASE!! Smiley Happy

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know if they have a "whitelist".   Do they keep good history past the 10 years that it is on you credit report.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dcw0405 wrote:
I had a credit card with Capital One that was opened in 2002.  LONG story short, it ended up with 120+, 90, 60, 30 day derogs and that acct became restricted in 2007 I believe (maybe 2006).  I finally paid it off though, even though the account was closed, it was still being reported to the credit bureaus.  Last year, I was able to open another credit card with Capital One BUT I pay an annual fee of $39.00 for it.  I know that an annual fee is bad but, is has a 7% interest rate, and I use it to help build my credit.  And it has helped significantly.  When my credit gets good enough, I'll simply tell them I want to cancel the card bc of the annual fee and maybe then they'll get rid of it for me.  Anyhoo, you may be able to get a card w/ an annual fee.

Perhaps your card at the time you paid it off it was still owned by CrapOne.  That may have made a difference.
Message 9 of 10
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Yeah BungalowMo:

I'm going to allow a few baddies to fall off in 2010 then apply for one through my credit union. I have a CC now with Citibank but the limit is very low ($500), but it's a start!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.