cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One upgrade from Platinum to Venture One, still bucketed?

tag
kcos194
Regular Contributor

Capital One upgrade from Platinum to Venture One, still bucketed?

Tried the upgrade link with Cap One for DW's platinum, and was able to upgrade to QS or Venture one. Chose Venture since we have a discover for cash back, and no miles card. Figured there's no downside since it's not a hard pull. Question though, The platinum appears to be bucketed in their version of credit steps (3k starting limit, after 5 payments can increase CLI to 3500), will that still be the same with the Venture One? Everything I've seen online indidcates the Venture is for "excellent" credit, but her scores are in the 635-655 range. Tried the pre-qual link for CO and they don't offer her the venture or venture one there, and no other pre-qual offers for better cards like AMEX. 

It's not the worst thing in the world to have the venture one with no annual fee, although we don't get the SUB but also don't take a HP for it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience going from a sub-prime Platinum to their prime card and how that will or won't grow. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One upgrade from Platinum to Venture One, still bucketed?

If the card is bucketed, then chances are that follows with the PC to whichever card. The only way to get out of that "bucket" is to app for a new card.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xaximus wrote:
If the card is bucketed, then chances are that follows with the PC to whichever card. The only way to get out of that "bucket" is to app for a new card.

Evreything I've read supports this.

Message 3 of 7
kcos194
Regular Contributor

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking too. When DW app’d for it, I had only really seen the credit steps limits starting at 300, 500 maybe a few at 1,000, which is why I thought it was strange she was approved af 3k but still in the steps program. We’ll see what happens. Worst case it’s a decent miles card with no HP.
Message 4 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kcos194 wrote:
Thanks, that’s what I was thinking too. When DW app’d for it, I had only really seen the credit steps limits starting at 300, 500 maybe a few at 1,000, which is why I thought it was strange she was approved af 3k but still in the steps program. We’ll see what happens. Worst case it’s a decent miles card with no HP.

At the risk of getting off-topic, in six months you might consider doing a PC to the QS. 

With your Venture One the maximum redemption is 1.25%, and that's restricted to travel expenses or gift cards.  With a Quicksilver, you get 1.5% cash that you can redeem however you want.  In other words, new account perks aside (which don't matter for a PC anyway) QS out-performs the Venture One in every way.

Don't be fooled by Capital One's "miles" reference... you can't actually transfer them anywhere. 

Message 5 of 7
kcos194
Regular Contributor

Thanks Uncle B, yea we definitely are going to look into better travel cards down the road. I already have a QS that we use run up and PIF, so we get the cash back benefit from that a little bit. Goal is to get the scores up and get into better cards like Amex or a Sapphire in a few months. The thing I like about the venture is we can book directly with the carrier/hotel points to earn those points and then use the venture miles as a statement credit.

To be honest, this is our first time using a mileage card so I'm not an expert yet on how to maximize it. But given her current scores, and the lack of HP, it seemed like the right move now. Better than the platinum which was giving us zip. 

Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kcos194 wrote:

The thing I like about the venture is we can book directly with the carrier/hotel points to earn those points and then use the venture miles as a statement credit.

Remember you can always do that with your Quicksilver as well...  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.