Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One vs the "Big League" rewards cards

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Capital One vs the "Big League" rewards cards

As many of you know, i started the first thread on Capital One's Executive Office.  I found the contact information for that after reading a lady's blog about how poor their service is. 

While my results were half successful (CLI but no PC to a Rewards Card) I have thought quite a bit about them in general.  Capital One is a company, that is all they are.  This isn't a personal relationship, neither of us is a jilted lover.  Capital One is a creditor who I used to get to the "big leagues".  When I was starting out with credit a number of years ago they gave me a shot, in return I was good and loyal to them.  Now that they are unable, or unwilling, to play in the big leagues without me doing a whole other application it is time to move on and enjoy the rewards from my credit cards. 

Yesterday I received my first rewards prize, a Fujifilm camera I picked up from Chase's UR with my points.  I have flights scheduled from my Southwest card miles and hotel rooms booked from points on my Hhonors card.

For those of you who are now prime borrowers, screw Capital One.  It seems that the luster of the Cap One Executive Office has worn off and they are tired of people getting in touch with them.  My suggestion to those playing in the "big leagues" is that you enjoy your prime cards, be good to them and watch your rewards and limits rise.  As for Capital One, if you have an AF kick them to the curb, if no AF it fits well in the sock drawer (that’s where my $10k CL Cap One card is sitting)

You all have to make your own decisions but, to me, they ARE NOT worth the headache and hassle it takes to do business with them.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One vs the "Big League" rewards cards

Well said.

I can't see myself SDing a 10k card tho Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think all of Cap1's reward programs are that bad for prime customers. Namely the Venture and Cash Rewards cards are pretty solid for purchases outside any bonus categories.

Message 3 of 21
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Well said.

I agree, that would be a little hard for me to do Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Well said.

I don't think I could either. Plus I love cap1...by far my favorite card, and the lender that has been best to me so far Smiley Very Happy I'll be getting bumped to $3500 in 1-2 months and then after 6 months I'll request a real CLI Smiley Tongue And if I have to go through the exec office I will, the cash rewards card is great, especially with no AF Smiley Very Happy 

Message 5 of 21
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
Well said.

I agree, that would be a little hard for me to do Smiley Wink

At this point it is only open for age and utilization purposes.  It's sitting right next to a DCU Platinum card with a $10k limit as well.  Just because it has a high limit does not make it worth using.

Message 6 of 21
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
Well said.

I don't think I could either. Plus I love cap1...by far my favorite card, and the lender that has been best to me so far Smiley Very Happy I'll be getting bumped to $3500 in 1-2 months and then after 6 months I'll request a real CLI Smiley Tongue And if I have to go through the exec office I will, the cash rewards card is great, especially with no AF Smiley Very Happy 

Understood.  I just can't see apping for another card, taking 3 inq's for it just to get a similar limit to what they just CLI'd me to.  I would probably do an inquiry on 1 report for the PC if they would do it, not all 3 for a new card.

Message 7 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
Well said.

Understood.  I just can't see apping for another card, taking 3 inq's for it just to get a similar limit to what they just CLI'd me to.  I would probably do an inquiry on 1 report for the PC if they would do it, not all 3 for a new card.

Yeah 3 the HPs is a little bit annoying, but I got my cap1 to build, so I knew I was gonna end up with a lot of inquiries anyways, the only reason I even apped for the cap1 plat is because I got a mail pre-approval offer with no AF, and then they PCd me to cash rewards. I wouldn't have applied for capital one otherwise because they had just denied me for their secured card a couple months earlier. 

When you really think about it though, the 3 HPs aren't THAT bad...they go away with time. 

Message 8 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
Well said.

Yeah 3 the HPs is a little bit annoying, but I got my cap1 to build, so I knew I was gonna end up with a lot of inquiries anyways, the only reason I even apped for the cap1 plat is because I got a mail pre-approval offer with no AF, and then they PCd me to cash rewards. I wouldn't have applied for capital one otherwise because they had just denied me for their secured card a couple months earlier. 

When you really think about it though, the 3 HPs aren't THAT bad...they go away with time. 

Well said.  I also think the 3 HPs have helped keep me honest.  Because of them I have 2 INQs on each report, which forced me to have an even playing field on all 3 of my reports (with the exception of some student loans not reporting).  Therefore, I didn't come on here and search for a new card that pulled a certain report just because I could.  I got Cap 1, and I'm gardening to let that age and let INQs fall off to make my reports as pretty as can be.

Just my two cents on the subject.  Everyone's situation is different, and obviously 3 HPs put a big cramp into strategic app sprees.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 9 of 21
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Lol LS, I have quite a few sd'd 10k cards Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.