Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One will now issue contactless cards by default

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One will now issue contactless cards by default

@kberly69 wrote:
MC Sports and Meijer (sporting goods and groceries)

Thanks! I don't have either near me, unfortunately.

If you have Apple Pay and put the phone in airplane mode, however, you can get a good idea as to whether a store might have issues with the contactless cards by seeing if the terminal transmits an amount to it before authorization. (Airplane mode is important because it'll show the amount after being authorized regardless.) If it just says "Payment" then it's likely using the magstripe compatibility mode; the contactless cards tend to not support that mode.

Message 41 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

These newer cards use NFC not RFID. With NFC they use a one time token type system like the EMV chips do they don't actually send out your card information. I get why some would worry about it but its the way of the future.

In fairness, there is a slightly higher risk as long as some online stores don't require the 3 digit code on the back (looking at you, Amazon). That's if someone bothers to bump into people and read their cards that way, which I doubt is going to be worthwhile to a potential thief when retailers' poor IT practices result in bigger targets.

Message 42 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

peking wrote:  EVERY card in the UK is contactless. For UK-issued cards, chip and pin are required for purchases over 50GBP, but under that amount, you can tap and go. As no pin or signature is required, it really is a 2 second transaction. Good to see these secure technologies are making their way over here.

They are not "secure technology's", they are "convenience technology's".

This is to make it more convenient for you to spend your money and get more swipes.

However it also makes it more convenient for a thief.

If you lose your card or it is stolen and you don't know it. It can be used many time before

red flags go up. It does not require pin, id, or signature for small charges.

This easy fraud use, and potential access to personal data without the

physical card means "you are trading a few seconds of your time for less secure technology"

False.  I'd suggest researching a bit before spreading false information.  Nothing in the transaction world is completely secure, but contactless payments are as safe and secure and have the same protection as CHIP & PIN payments.  

Message 43 of 57
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

peking wrote:  EVERY card in the UK is contactless. For UK-issued cards, chip and pin are required for purchases over 50GBP, but under that amount, you can tap and go. As no pin or signature is required, it really is a 2 second transaction. Good to see these secure technologies are making their way over here.

This is to make it more convenient for you to spend your money and get more swipes.

If you lose your card or it is stolen and you don't know it. It can be used many time before

physical card means "you are trading a few seconds of your time for less secure technology"

False.  I'd suggest researching a bit before spreading false information.  Nothing in the transaction world is completely secure, but contactless payments are as safe and secure and have the same protection as CHIP & PIN payments.  

Are you saying if I got a contactless card, it'd be just as safe? If so I might get Amex Contactless.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 44 of 57
Sanjo812
Contributor

Just as Peking said, like the U.K., Canadian banks and card issuers have been using these types of cards for years. To me, it works just how Apple / Android Pay works outside of the fact that your card doesn't have a pseudo-number for contactless transactions like Apple / Android Pay does. 

Eight Twelve Consulting
Message 45 of 57
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

Well, if the thief gets your actual physical card, it does not matter whether it is NFC, has a chip, or just a mag-stripe. Only a very few EMV Chip cards require the PIN on transactions, so your concern applies to all cards that are not Chip+PIN, regardless of NFC/Contactless. My Diners card (made of Unobtainium) allows contactless purchases only up to a certain amount. I has instructed me to insert the card to enter the PIN for authorization for transactions above say $50. I don't know the threshhold but it's not large.

Even if it requires a signiature... yeah, my signature is really seriously checked for authorization when I scrawl on the electronic "signature reader". Not.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 46 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Well, if the thief gets your actual physical card, it does not matter whether it is NFC, has a chip, or just a mag-stripe. Only a very few EMV Chip cards require the PIN on transactions, so your concern applies to all cards that are not Chip+PIN, regardless of NFC/Contactless. My Diners card (made of Unobtainium) allows contactless purchases only up to a certain amount. I has instructed me to insert the card to enter the PIN for authorization for transactions above say $50. I don't know the threshhold but it's not large.

Even if it requires a signiature... yeah, my signature is really seriously checked for authorization when I scrawl on the electronic "signature reader". Not.

Is this something new? I remember being able to use it for >$50 at Walgreens before.

Message 47 of 57
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Is this something new? I remember being able to use it for >$50 at Walgreens before.

I have not used it enough to say for certain, I only recall that on some transactions in that range, it did not accept Contactless and insists the card and PIN need to be used. Maybe it was specific to the terminal, hard for me to say.

The difficulty in testing those is, you have to be willing to spend $50 or more in hard currency to get a datapoint Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 48 of 57
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

One of these days i'll try using my dual interface American Express card again. The problem I had with it, was that if the store had chip transactions disabled, then the wireless would look like it was working, and then fail at the very end, requiring me to swipe the card anyways. So, all of the time delay with none of the extra security.

The wireless only card I used to have, ie with no chip, didn't have that problem. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 49 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

I have not used it enough to say for certain, I only recall that on some transactions in that range, it did not accept Contactless and insists the card and PIN need to be used. Maybe it was specific to the terminal, hard for me to say.

The difficulty in testing those is, you have to be willing to spend $50 or more in hard currency to get a datapoint Smiley Happy

My understanding of the card network rules is that they're not allowed to impose any sort of limit at all in the US. Of course, there might still be terminals that haven't been updated yet.

On that note, I'm wondering if BMO is sending out updated Diners Club cards that will allow PIN to be entered over a certain amount (like cards from Australia and some other places). I'm kinda afraid to ask for a replacement card because I've had communication from their CSRs implying that their cards don't do contactless anymore. In any case, mine expires in like 7 months or so so I should find out soon either way.

Message 50 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.