Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One...you make me sad :'(

tag
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Capital One...you make me sad :'(

I have two accounts with Capital One (both started at $500 with credit steps, bumped to $750 each).  I've had them both over a year and a half , with no movement on the credit limits.

I decided to suck it up and call them this morning to ask for an increase on my rewards card.  After a few minutes the representative informed me that I am not eligible for a CLI at this time and a letter would be mailed.  Well, that's when I asked to close the other card.  Of course they want to know the reason which I tried to make as nice as possible..."this card isn't growing with me" was the nicest response I could produce. 

I am very happy for all of you who have gotten CLIs lately, but I feel like the regular platinum card is stuck for me.  I'll keep my rewards card for an additional year but if the limit isn't increased I'm closing it!  I pay in full every month, I put $3-4k through the card each month, I've never gone over the limit, I've never paid late and it just doesn't seem to  budge Smiley Sad

Ok...I'm done complaining and whining for now.  (I'm a girl so I'm a bit on the sensitive side Smiley Very Happy)

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One...you make me sad :'(

I have had both of my cap one for close to 4 years now and never got a CLI. Always get denied. Both cards have always been paid on time and in full. I have tried to let 2% report, 0 util report, nothing.

You're not eligible for a CLI at this moment. I always get this. One of my Cap One has a $60 AF with a $500 CL. So don't feel bad.

Once I get an AMEX revolving credit, (backdated, I will say bye bye to both cards.

Message 2 of 14
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@casmith1980 wrote:

I have two accounts with Capital One (both started at $500 with credit steps, bumped to $750 each).  I've had them both over a year and a half , with no movement on the credit limits.

I decided to suck it up and call them this morning to ask for an increase on my rewards card.  After a few minutes the representative informed me that I am not eligible for a CLI at this time and a letter would be mailed.  Well, that's when I asked to close the other card.  Of course they want to know the reason which I tried to make as nice as possible..."this card isn't growing with me" was the nicest response I could produce. 

I am very happy for all of you who have gotten CLIs lately, but I feel like the regular platinum card is stuck for me.  I'll keep my rewards card for an additional year but if the limit isn't increased I'm closing it!  I pay in full every month, I put $3-4k through the card each month, I've never gone over the limit, I've never paid late and it just doesn't seem to  budge Smiley Sad

Ok...I'm done complaining and whining for now.  (I'm a girl so I'm a bit on the sensitive side Smiley Very Happy)

Right there with ya girl!

I have tried it all...high balance paying some interest...then paying it off...no-to-low balance...PIF...NOTHING. It's as though they pick names out of a hat.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 3 of 14
scrubs
Regular Contributor

cap one has different levels of cards you have one of theirs subprime card and once you reach max credit level thats it.. cap one will not give any cli on theses type of cards. you must close them and apply again.

Message 4 of 14
CS800
Super Contributor

How do I know if I have their 'Subprime' platinum?

Best Oxymoron ever Subprime-Platinum

Message 5 of 14
casmith1980
Established Contributor

@scrubs wrote:

cap one has different levels of cards you have one of theirs subprime card and once you reach max credit level thats it.. cap one will not give any cli on theses type of cards. you must close them and apply again.

I would be completely "ok" with this statement if my credit limit was $1,500...but at $750, I highly doubt  I have reached this card's fullest potential.

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 6 of 14
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

How do I know if I have their 'Subprime' platinum?

Best Oxymoron ever Subprime-Platinum

You can call and ask what the Credit Line range is for your card. That'll give you an idea if you have a subprime version of the card. Also, if it has an AF, then it may be in the subprime bucket (not all but most of their cards).

Message 7 of 14
casmith1980
Established Contributor

When I called a CSR to ask what the ceiling was on my current rewards card, he stated that there wasn't one.  (I don't believe him so I suppose I should call back and ask)

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@casmith1980 wrote:

When I called a CSR to ask what the ceiling was on my current rewards card, he stated that there wasn't one.  (I don't believe him so I suppose I should call back and ask)

This has been my experience as well. Tried to get info on what the credit ceiling for my card was and they just wouldn't give it to me. It's always something about how there isn't one, or that it depends, or it's not something they have access to, etc. Asked multiple reps on multiple times, with no answer at all.

I did, however, find out that if I want to deposit more than $3k on my secured cap one card, I can. Hah! As if.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a capone card from 2008 to 2010 that no joke would not move past 300 limit. That is like their sub sub prime card. So I closed that and opened a new one around January this year. Now I'm on their sub prime card. You know you are on that one when they tell you that you are on credit steps. Went from 500 to 750 as described in account notifcation. No user initiated credit increase. The way I've had the Capone rep describe it to me is that it is 100% automated system and the reps themselves are not privy to the information that it uses to make decisions and are not physically able to change the limit. All they can do is parrot back what the system gives them.

Best just to use these sub prime cards to build/rebuild your credit and move on once you've outgrown them because they won't grow with you.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.