Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One

I think it is more than reasonable to include a SUB when comparing to a no AF card with no or lower SUB.

Money is money. Out of pocket costs means the difference between what you receive and what you pay.
Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:
I think it is more than reasonable to include a SUB when comparing to a no AF card with no or lower SUB.

Money is money. Out of pocket costs means the difference between what you receive and what you pay.

But that's a false choice because they aren't mutually exclusive, you can both grab the SUB as well as not be constrained to paying the AF by downgrade to non-AF Savor One, combine it to another non-AF CO card (like a grandfathered Savor), or just close it and move your spending to your other cards that would net higher rewards, if one feels their spending does not justify the $95 AF. Like you said, money is money, the SUB is indeed unusually good for a cash back card, weather it's worth keeping with AF in the 2nd year is probably debatable at best.
Message 12 of 26
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I've had tsimilar experience today with Cap1. I was trying to get my QS recon'ed for the stupid CLI denial reason they gave me (long story), or even getting it PC'ed to Savor. I was told to apply for a new card.... like I am adding another card if they couldn't even address my issue with my current card. Shame, I even bank with them with their 360 as my default, because I'm such a loyal customer. First time it happened, I replaced it with the PayPal cashback as my daily driver. Today, I applied for the Uber card instead (under verification).

Message 13 of 26
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Well here’s hoping you get the Uber card. I hear it’s a great card to have. I tried for it but was denied for too many new accounts usual for Barclays stuff. Gonna try again late next year and see what happens.
Message 14 of 26
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

I should also warn you that Barclays is an extremely skittish lender to say the least. So if you do get approved be prepared at anytime to get a CLD. Barclays is like that. A fantastic card like the Uber card being issued by Barclays just does it no justice.
Message 15 of 26
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

@rbentley wrote:

Cap 1 is not your BFF and really doesn't care about your loyalty.  You are merely a financial transaction to them.  They lent you credit because it made financial sense to them and they have profited by you using their card.  They would not hesitate to shut you down or do a CLD the minute they felt insecure.  They will make no attempt to retain your business.

I am not saying to not be grateful to them for helping you rebuild, but that is their business model.  They don't deserve or value your loyalty as their stingy CLI's show.  I am not hating on Cap 1.  They have their value and purpose.  When they are no longer of value, move on.  

This is pretty much every financial institution.   Unless you are a huge depositor, they do not care.

Message 16 of 26
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

But that's a false choice because they aren't mutually exclusive, you can both grab the SUB as well as not be constrained to paying the AF by downgrade to non-AF Savor One, combine it to another non-AF CO card (like a grandfathered Savor), or just close it and move your spending to your other cards that would net higher rewards, if one feels their spending does not justify the $95 AF. Like you said, money is money, the SUB is indeed unusually good for a cash back card, weather it's worth keeping with AF in the 2nd year is probably debatable at best.

I personally do not see the value of the Savor with AF versus the SavorOne without AF but I do not spend a lot on dining out and entertainment.  I think the Savor should bump up groceries to 3% or 4% and the SavorOne should not.  That would make a lot more sense for the AF difference.

However, I would take a $500 SUB with $95 AF and higher rewards over a $0 SUB with no AF and lower rewards.

There is a reason there are hundreds of different credit cards.  Different people think differently.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. The customer service is HORRIBLE!! I have had a simple card with them since 2008. I have asked several times for a credit line increase and they tell me NO. Pardon me, Transunion score=811 Equifax 803. Credit line with them is 2000. The lowest card I have. I only keep it for the established credit. The exuse I get when I ask, that account is not up for credit line increase. **bleep**? I never use it so that is why I am sure. They do suck

Message 18 of 26
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree. The customer service is HORRIBLE!! I have had a simple card with them since 2008. I have asked several times for a credit line increase and they tell me NO. Pardon me, Transunion score=811 Equifax 803. Credit line with them is 2000. The lowest card I have. I only keep it for the established credit. The exuse I get when I ask, that account is not up for credit line increase. **bleep**? I never use it so that is why I am sure. They do suck

What was your credit score when you opened the card?

Why would they give you more credit if you do not ever use the credit they gave you?

You are costing them more money than they make off of your account.

Message 19 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Capital One has an advantage for those that a) Like Peet's (a lot) and b) are near a Capital One cafe.   The 50% off can certainly add up, with a no AF card you use just for this purpose  (then you don't need to worry about CLI unless your spend is VERY big, and in that case, the discount is worth poor service!)

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.