Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One

@Anonymous wrote:
Yea they are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cards, I’m thankful that they gave me my first chance at a credit care but 5 years of perfect payment history and no lates or baddies, my income has increased significantly each year for 5 years, from $65,000 to $130,000, that’s why I was approved with Amex and BoA, and also discover! I will gladly take cap 1 out of my wallet, I’m pretty sure my other 2 cards are bucketed anyway so no need to keep jacking around with them when my other cards will grow quickly

While that may be a factor it is not the deciding factor, there are those on these boards who are approved for these cards with under 30K income.

Message 11 of 16
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

Although my card is bucketed, I won’t close it, I’ll just let them close it for non use. It’s not hurting anything. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 12 of 16
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Yea they are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cards, I’m thankful that they gave me my first chance at a credit care but 5 years of perfect payment history and no lates or baddies, my income has increased significantly each year for 5 years, from $65,000 to $130,000, that’s why I was approved with Amex and BoA, and also discover! I will gladly take cap 1 out of my wallet, I’m pretty sure my other 2 cards are bucketed anyway so no need to keep jacking around with them when my other cards will grow quickly

While that may be a factor it is not the deciding factor, there are those on these boards who are approved for these cards with under 30K income.

Income is a bigger factor when it comes to the cl, not if th fi issues the card or not.

Message 13 of 16
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They are a big joke, I called to cancel my secured card that’s been open 5 years with perfect payment history, they never graduated the card, and today they never once offered anything to keep the account open, I will never give them my business again, I will use my discover and my Amex cards ( 2 cards ) as my daily’s, keep my new BoA as backup, I have 2 other cap 1 cards ( qs and qs1 ) and I will be working on paying those off this week and closing those as well! Bye bye cap1, your no longer in this wallet!

Batwood1,

I am certainly not fond of Capital One, but just in case you have not read this before, apparently some (many? most?) Capital One starter credit cards will never graduate/improve:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-why-some-subprime/td-p/5083619

It may be possible to apply for and obtain a better credit card from Capital One even though a particular Capital One credit card is "bucketed."

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're willing to waste 3 HPs for one card!

IMO, why bother when existing Amex customers can app without a HP? 

I don't hate Cap1, but I also don't need them(anymore). They were fine with limited exposure. But when a person reaches a point and has several other higher limit cards. Yet Cap1 remains bucketed, or takes 20 years just to reach a decent limit. Then it's time for goodbyes.

I was at 5 times the CL of my Cap1 card with Amex and only within one year, now I'm at 20 time the Cap1 limit. So I closed. 

If they can't upgrade their algorithms without a new app, I might as well app for a much better card/issuer.  

A friend of mine also loves Cap1, it was his very first and has treated him alright. But he also doesn't play the rewards game nor even use CC that much.

Everyone certainly does have varying experiences with them for sure. I always assumed they were meant for starters or people with bruised credit, yet now they seem to be more stringent on certain profiles. And also offer higher tier CC.

Message 15 of 16
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I personally love my Venture and Savor (I'm grandfathered in, no AF for Savor and only $49 for Venture).  That being said, since I've rebuilt my credit, there's nothing in their portfolio that would be worth 3 HPs to me.

That being said, they USED to give out credit increases like candy.  They've really tightened up over the last two years though, and they no longer want to give you a credit increase if you're not actually using the credit limit you have now.  And by using, that appears to mean putting 25-50% of your limit through in spend regularly.  Remember about a year ago all the threads about how people had their $25K limits slashed to $15K or 10K?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.