cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one CLI increases and time table for requesting????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one CLI increases and time table for requesting????

I was given a $300 Capital one card and just clicked request increase this month and it was raised to $800. How often do you guys/girls request an increase? Do you charge and PIF and then request again the following month? Wait 3 or 6 or 12 months? I am considering chatting with them on Monday to see about raising that CLI more than they did. Anyone who has experience w capital one and can answer any of these questions, I would feel at ease knowing what to do with it next. I would like higher limits on the better cards so I can close the garbage ones.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital one CLI increases and time table for requesting????

Typically you'll need to wait 6 months from your last CLI with Cap 1.  Chat will not increase your credit. You will have to request thru the EO when requesting outside of the 6 months mark or requesting more than they offered to give.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

EO?

Message 3 of 10
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Executive Office.  Request it on here and someone will PM you their email and or phone number.  I dont know it myself.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was given a $300 Capital one card and just clicked request increase this month and it was raised to $800. How often do you guys/girls request an increase? Do you charge and PIF and then request again the following month? Wait 3 or 6 or 12 months? I am considering chatting with them on Monday to see about raising that CLI more than they did. Anyone who has experience w capital one and can answer any of these questions, I would feel at ease knowing what to do with it next. I would like higher limits on the better cards so I can close the garbage ones.

December I received a mail offer, 22.9%apr after 10 months no interest for a Quicksilver Visa, not the qs1.  No annual fee.  When the paperwork came, it discussed credit steps. It said, make 5 timely payments and you will get an increase of $500 for a total CL of $1,500.

Well, I used the heck out of that card, paying off multiple times a month, avoiding running it up too high. Even carrying a balance.  So...after reading here at myfico about this luv button....I went ahead and clicked it, thinking whats the worst that could happen.  Instant $2,000 increase to a total of $3,000.

Ok... obviously that would be my CL for another 3-6mos... Nope. This morning, I checked, and they added that $500 from credit steps. LOL. So now, my cl is $3,500!

So, my theory is, and its probably totally wrong, that if I would have thought negatively, and only accepted the $500 increase, I would have to wait more months for a real CLI.

On a smaller note, I am beginning to be wary of cap1. They seem to be very inconsistent.... lol.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the 6 month mark for them.  My oldest card from them is a QS with 2k on it.  Cli's aren't so great.  They did give me 3k one time on my Platinum Prestige in Nov.  I app'd for 2 Ventures over the past couple of months & got instant approval for both with a sl of 20k each.  Seems app'ing for a new card works better.  But I haven't given up on my other two.  I figure once they see how I take care of these two Ventures, I can ask for a decent cli on the others and then I'm good to go with Cap One.  

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thank you for replying. I'll make a note to apply in Dec for a CLI Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My experience with Capital One has always been 6 month intervals.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, thank you for replying. I'll make a note to apply in Dec for a CLI Smiley Happy

You might not need to; most of my CLI's have been automatic.

Just got one the other day, but it was about a week before the 6th statement cut since the previous CLI

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My last requested CLI was on 2/14/15 so counted the days and figured 180 days was 6 months but apparently not. Since 8/13 I've requested CLI and gotten the document declining me "recent change in limit". I got my credit steps on 6/10 but bars on info from this forum that doesn't matter. Anyone know the exact number of days between customer requested CLIs? Guess I'll keep trying everyday until they give me another reason.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.