Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one buckets- this is how u know ur in it

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one buckets- this is how u know ur in it

I emailed EO got a call from Denise and was informed that the email that gives me a balance alert(titled your requested balance summary)can't be changed to reflect the current card. In my case I started with a Platinum and have product changed to Quicksilver. I learned that I have a Platinum card with Platinum benefits but my plastic card is QS as well as when I log in to my account and statements reflect QS and I get QS rewards. They purposefully make it confusing. The executive office put me through to internet/ IT Dept and they explained that the benefit that the card originally started with will never change.
The benefits are rental car insurance and price protection that sorta thing.

Platinum:
benefits
The actual account

QS:
Rewards
Statements

Sign up for balance summary emails and see what account product it references if you want to know your accounts bucket ( probably where you started).
39 REPLIES 39
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital one buckets- this is how u know ur in it

OP, I believe most individuals have reported the same findings with regard to the original product they may have started with as a it moves through various PC phases. The product code or "bucketing" has been widely discussed on here and other CC forums.

Unfortunately, the EO doesn't yield any favorable outcomes since their hands are pretty much tied to what the system only allows.
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a way to verify the bucket.
Message 3 of 40
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Thanks OP. As this may have been discussed on here, I hadn't noticed it until this post. How weird. It all makes sence now. My journey had been Platinum, QS1 then to QS. This explains why the APR is by far my worst and they won't/can't do squat about it and its like pulling teeth to get any CLI. 

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 4 of 40
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I emailed EO got a call from Denise and was informed that the email that gives me a balance alert(titled your requested balance summary)can't be changed to reflect the current card. In my case I started with a Platinum and have product changed to Quicksilver. I learned that I have a Platinum card with Platinum benefits but my plastic card is QS as well as when I log in to my account and statements reflect QS and I get QS rewards. They purposefully make it confusing. The executive office put me through to internet/ IT Dept and they explained that the benefit that the card originally started with will never change.
The benefits are rental car insurance and price protection that sorta thing.

Platinum:
benefits
The actual account

QS:
Rewards
Statements

Sign up for balance summary emails and see what account product it references if you want to know your accounts bucket ( probably where you started).

Once a Plat always a plat no matter what the name of the card is. Look on the back. It has Plat. So in a way you are bucketed to the Plat benefits until like a few and very few lucky people get upgraded to a WMC or WEMC. And thats not written in stone.

Message 5 of 40
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

When this sort of thing happens, it's time to move on to another lender and just close the Capital One card.  AAoA is overrated.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will probably sock drawer it.
Would having the lower aaoa (because I close cap1) hurt more than having a tiny limit $1,200?
My only objective is to get high limits.
Message 7 of 40
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

If you close it, that wouldn't affect your AAoA since the latter will still be factored in for at least up to ~10 years.

High CLs really depend on your overall profile, income/DTI, a pretty fairly established history, plus in a variety of cases, other CCs with comparable or higher CLs. It really depends on what you are aiming for. High CLs to some can mean in a range from $5K to $10K, but for others anything above $20K, for example.
Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I learned this the hard way when I went back and forth between the EO trying to obtain the WEMC/WMC status on my “Quicksilver” a couple years back. It basically boiled down to “oh, even though you check all the boxes and patiently waited while doing so, we’re only now going to tell you that you were never actually eligible because your card isn’t an actual Quicksilver.” Like being told at the finish line you were never really part of the race. That was a complete and utter gut-punch. After having spent months trying to please them by using the card more than necessary, and slow climbing up the CLI ladder. Even now, I still feel annoyed that I give in to their 1.5% more often than not. I really should get a new card for that so that I can sock-drawer this one for good. That WEMC Quicksilver with a $20k+ CLI will elude me forever.
Message 9 of 40
CivalV
Established Contributor

@CramEiko wrote:

Thanks OP. As this may have been discussed on here, I hadn't noticed it until this post. How weird. It all makes sence now. My journey had been Platinum, QS1 then to QS. This explains why the APR is by far my worst and they won't/can't do squat about it and its like pulling teeth to get any CLI. 

Same here. I received one increase on my platinum that is over 6 years old. I’ll admit my scores probably have a lot to do with this but one increase in 6 years? Has to be bucketed. My secured card unsecured 8 months back. When it unsecured they bumped it to $500 and that was it. If I just so happen to be approved for an Amex in a couple of months I am dumping Cap 1.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.