Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one combining

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one combining

Apologies if this has been mentioned. I searched and read a few posts but wasn’t understanding.

So I have a cap1 platinum card that was my first account after rebuilding and is just shy of 2 years old. They just recently gave me a cli making it $600. I was approved for the quick silver one for $3k. I wouldn’t mind combining them and closing the platinum card since I don’t think it will ever really get a good CL. Is that still possible to combine? Will it affect my credit being the oldest account if I were to combine and it get closed? Or should I just leave it alone and continue to use it and pay in hopes for them to actually give it a decent CL?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one combining

They stopped combining accounts sometime in the last 12 months or so. It may or may not come back.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah man! Figures now that I wanna combine lol. Ok looks like I’ll just keep using and cross my fingers that it improves
Message 3 of 5
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

Happened sometime around Christmas I think.

I've been checking every two months by searching the forum for this exact topic to see if it's changed.

Still sitting on my hands waiting. I wanted to combine my wife's two Cap One CCs a few months after they stopped offering it.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, it stinks! I have a both a secured Platinum card with them that's stuck at $1,302 and a Platinum PCed Venture World Mastercard that started at $500 CL and has risen to $6,500 over 5 years! I have no idea how the .02 got into that mix on the secured card, but the secured card no longer serves a significant purpose. I do wish they'd combine limits again, but I spoke with two CSRs and they won't. Plus, they halted their graduation on secured cards! So, if I wanted the money I put down years ago, I'd have to close the account. Ugh!

Here's my food for thought: Cap 1 irks me due to: small CLI increases over the years, recent security breach, unwillingness to graduate secured cards, and providing me better service/products. BUT, I do love them because they were one of the very few lenders who gave me a chance when no one else would. They extended credit to me for retails cards with better starting limits than their actual credit cards, and pre-approved me for automobile financing at a low APR and high amount. They're an odd pickle, but I do in some way love them and will remain loyal to them. I'd say, stick with them and in time they will show you some love in their oddly mysterious, algorithmic ways!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.