Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one pc and math

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one pc and math

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about using the link I found on here. I currently spend between 1,700 to 2,200 a month on my 5,300 capital one platinum credit line. I was offered to upgrade to the venture one or venture. The Quicksilver wasn’t offered on the link or by a representative on chat. Was wondering if someone who is good at math would know if choosing the venture would make more sense with a 95 fee than the venture one in my case?

My second question is if anyone knows but “upgrading” does that take my account out of the “starter card” status for CLIs. This is my first card I’ve opened five years ago.

Thank you
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one pc and math

The cash back difference is 1.25% and 2.0%, a difference of 0.75%.

$95 / 0.0075 = $12,667 annually or $1056 per month spend or more to make the annual fee valuable.

A PC should in fact get you out of the rebuilder tier but a lot depends on your current scores and profile.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may or may not get past a starter tier card. When I upgraded my platinum to quicksilver, it ended up staying a platinum card with quicksilver rewards. Only when I upgrade a second time from quicksilver to quicksilver did my platinum card actually update to a real quicksilver with visa signature benefits.

On the other hand, venture one is a visa signature card. I would do the upgrade.

Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

IMO, you should never upgrade to a Venture.   The only valuable thing about the Venture is the sign-up bonus, which you (usually) don't get via a PC.   So then you are left with a 2% restricted redemption card with a fee, while there are several free unrestricted 2% cards.    Now it might be that you don't have the credit report for some of those yet, but I would wait rather than get the Venture.   There are also lots of free 1.5% cards

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

IMO, you should never upgrade to a Venture.   The only valuable thing about the Venture is the sign-up bonus, which you (usually) don't get via a PC.   So then you are left with a 2% restricted redemption card with a fee, while there are several free unrestricted 2% cards.    Now it might be that you don't have the credit report for some of those yet, but I would wait rather than get the Venture.   There are also lots of free 1.5% cards

I must concur with that.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I only have 3 cards so not sure what else I’d be eligible for. I’ve read many on here have much more than that.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 should be enough. 2 cards can get you over 800 credit score, maybe 1 card is also possible. What are your other cards? Maybe some of those are upgradeable.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for the Venture outright is better since you get the bonus.  Then throw the limit of your older card onto the new card and close the old card.  Unless it's a much older card you want to keep for AAoA purposes. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My cards are:
5 yr old Capital One Platinum 5,300
3.5 yr old Target Mastercard 7,800 was a non Mastercard when I opened it
3yr old US Bank Platinum 17,500

I have a paid off Honda loan

2 month old 60 mo term auto loan with Toyota Financial at 0%
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.