Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one stress

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one stress

Hey everyone long time leeker here heh.

So im having issues with graduating from my captial one secured master card to an unsecured one. I've had my card for almost 2 years now and just recently I asked for a product change and got denied. Captial one is starting to get on my nerves now lol.

I have a 700 CL that was my deposit when I first opened the card. All payments ontime,  credit utilization mostly under 20% so what gives im tired of being stuck on this card. I have other cards and am an authorized user an a card with a CL of 10k all my scores are above 720, any advice please? I don't want to apply for a new card or have to close this card but its really getting on my nerves , sry for the rant.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital one stress

Your frustration is understandable OP and I'm sure others in similar situations can relate. That said, Capital One secured cards no longer have the capability to graduate as unsecured, unfortunately.

Aside from the secured card and the AU account, do you have any other tradelines under your name?  What does the rest of your file look like?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll likely have to apply for a new account with what I'm assuming are better scores than 2 years ago?, as you're pretty much bucketed on this card. So whether you want to apply for another Cap 1 card, or a different Lender is a decision you'll have to make. Personally I'd probably opt for a different Lender.

Message 3 of 10
scfc1972
Valued Member

No need to get stressed. I'm in the same boat. I have an Amex Gold, BBP, Citi DC and pretty much any card I would/could want outside of 5/24. Capital One will never unsecure my starter card. That's okay. It's my oldest credit line and I think I put $50 into it. Eventually they'll cancel it for not using it and I'll get it back. 

For now... I'm not worried. 

Capital One - Secured Platinum $500
Capital One - Quicksilver $8000
Wells Fargo - Active Cash $2500
American Express - Blue Cash Everyday $26000
American Express - Hilton Honors $2000
Apple Card $6500
American Express - Gold NPSL
Amazon Store Card $10000
Citi - Double Cash $6200
American Express - Blue Business Plus - $2000
American Express - Amazon Business - $3000
American Express - Platinum NPSL
Capital One Auto Loan - 17,740 48 months @ 2.99% (refi)
Message 4 of 10
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So im having issues with graduating from my captial one secured master card to an unsecured one. I've had my card for almost 2 years now and just recently I asked for a product change and got denied. Captial one is starting to get on my nerves now lol.

I have a 700 CL that was my deposit when I first opened the card. All payments ontime,  credit utilization mostly under 20% so what gives im tired of being stuck on this card. I have other cards and am an authorized user an a card with a CL of 10k all my scores are above 720, any advice please? I don't want to apply for a new card or have to close this card but its really getting on my nerves , sry for the rant.

Capital One wont be graduating secured cards. I would highly suggest that you apply for a unsecured card if your credit profile is good enough. If you want to still use a Capital One card and assuming you have little to no negative remarks in the past 12 to 24 months, you should qualify for the SavorOne, VentureOne, or QuickSilver cards, which all are unsecured, especially if you have been using the secured card. You can try using a prequalification tool with amex, citi (if its enabled again), discover, etc., to see what you would qualify for and maybe take a aim at one of them as well and then maybe go on and close the secured card once those accounts age.

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

time to use another lender and, oh no, for the love of fico....apply for a better card!🤯😄

Message 6 of 10
Conceptual23
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You'll likely have to apply for a new account with what I'm assuming are better scores than 2 years ago?, as you're pretty much bucketed on this card. So whether you want to apply for another Cap 1 card, or a different Lender is a decision you'll have to make. Personally I'd probably opt for a different Lender.

You hit the nail on the head here.  I couldn't agree more.   Applying for a another card with a different Issuer is the way to go.  I've was stuck in Capital One Pergatory for the last five years until I applied with Pendfed and Navy Federal. 

Starting FICO 8s | 06/2018: EX 601 ✦ EQ 605 ✦ TU 590
Current FICO 8s | 9/2022: EX 732 ✦ EQ 739✦ TU 743
2023 Goal Score: 760+

Business Cards:

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One has restarted graduation for secured cards in the last couple weeks, per posts on Reddit and here on myfico too (OPs confirm that cust service reps confirmed it's been officially restarted). Give it through January I'd rec to see if you're included in the first wave of eligible customers.

Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@silver_idle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One wont be graduating secured cards. I would highly suggest that you apply for a unsecured card if your credit profile is good enough. If you want to still use a Capital One card and assuming you have little to no negative remarks in the past 12 to 24 months, you should qualify for the SavorOne, VentureOne, or QuickSilver cards, which all are unsecured, especially if you have been using the secured card. You can try using a prequalification tool with amex, citi (if its enabled again), discover, etc., to see what you would qualify for and maybe take a aim at one of them as well and then maybe go on and close the secured card once those accounts age.

There's been some recent developments in which some CCs have started graduating based on recent reports.  At this point, it's uncertain if all of their secured CCs will be graduating or a predetermined number of accounts.  

Message 9 of 10
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

I would apply for an unsecured if you have a good profile now as Capital One does not seem to graduate cards even before covid I had one for over a year and they also refused. I ended up closing mine as I feel the purpose is they just want to keep your deposit as capital which didn't sit right with me

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.