Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one

tag
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Capital one

I currently have a capital one secured card CL 200.
I got accepted for Discover It CL 500
I got accepted for NFCU CL 1000
My EX score is 661(increased by 33 points from last scores). Some collections were removed
I am waiting for my other scores to show in 5 days.
This is from 11/10/15
Scores:
EX 628
TU 647
EQ 614
Should I risk getting another inquiry?
I currently have 5 on EX and EQ and 7 on TU. most are due to come off in 2017.
Also will be purchasing a house Next year, so that's a factor too. I am trying to increase my scores. And if I do apply for another card I will be gardening and let it grow grow grow!
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital one

Those inquiries aren't too bad. The rule of thumb is you don't want to apply for ANY credit at least 6 months prior to applying for a mortgage, and you'll need to get those scores up a bit before applying for a mortgage. So if you want to apply for more CCs best to do it soon.

How long have you had the Cap One secured card? They might unsecure it, but try their pre-qualifier, with the Discover & NFCU cards (assuming they show on your credit report), they might approve you for an unsecured card. If so, just close the secured.

Message 2 of 29
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Capital one!

I currently have a capital one secured card CL 200.
I got accepted for Discover It CL 500
I got accepted for NFCU CL 1000
My EX score is 661(increased by 33 points from last scores). Some collections were removed
I am waiting for my other scores to show in 5 days.
This is from 11/10/15
Scores:
EX 628
TU 647
EQ 614
Should I risk getting another inquiry?
I currently have 5 on EX and EQ and 7 on TU. most are due to come off in 2017.
Also will be purchasing a house Next year, so that's a factor too. I am trying to increase my scores. And if I do apply for another card I will be gardening and let it grow grow grow!
Message 3 of 29
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Since 2012
Message 4 of 29
Caitt
Regular Contributor

I also called them to insecure it and told them I heard they can do it I have a few friends that they did it for. (Not the truth lol) but they told me they do not do it anymore. Should I pay my balance on it? I'm quite new to this. The cards are not posted. Still waiting for them in the mail.
Message 5 of 29
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Caitt wrote:
Since 2012

Oh yeah, definitely try their pre-qualify page, I'd bet they'll approve you for a Platinum, maybe a Quicksilver with 1.5% rewards.

EDIT: (For your 2nd post) Well, try Cap One prequal, it's a soft pull, wont't put an inqury on your CR until you actually apply for a card. But your credit profile will be stronger after those new cards show on your repor, usually a few days after the 1st statement. Paying you balance on the secured card shouldn't make much of a difference, except saving interest charges.

Message 6 of 29
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Both!!
Message 7 of 29
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Should I pay it in full and then close or transfer balance?
Message 8 of 29
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Caitt wrote:
Both!!

The pre-qual approves for both Platinum & Quicksilver? Is it Quicksilver One with annual fee, or regular QS? Either way, take Quicksilver over Platinum for the 1.5% rewards, you can redeem them for a statement credit. And does it tell you a specific interest rate, like 20.99%, not a range like 12-24%? If a specified interest rate, you should be approved.   If approved for either card, pay your secured card in full and then close so you get your deposit back.

Message 9 of 29
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Yes. Quicksilver One. Also after I start gardening how soon can I see an increase? Also what do you mean by statement credit?
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.