Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne CLI approval odds?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapitalOne CLI approval odds?

Hi everyone, 

I have 3 cards with CapitalOne and NONE of them ever give me a credit line increase. I have a CapitalOne Platinum for 2 years, CapitalOne SilverOne for 1.5 years and a Kohls card for 2 years. I have requested multiple credit line increases and I have not received one. All my other credit cards give me credit line increases and I stay below the 30 percent on all of them. Does anyone have any tips?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: CapitalOne CLI approval odds?

If your scores were low when you opened cards, you may have hard time getting CLIs.

Research bucketed cards.

If your scores are dramatically better than they were when you opened card, it is often better the apply for new Cap One card.  They can give great SL, better rewards, and lower APRs on new cards the same day they deny you for a CLI on old card.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 9
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

+1, I had a Capone plat that just would not grow beyond 700. I applied for a SavorOne and got a 10k SL. Then just closed

the other one. I haven’t had it long enough to ask for an increase, but I expect to get a nice one once the six months pass

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 3 of 9
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@dynamicvb wrote:

+1, I had a Capone plat that just would not grow beyond 700. I applied for a SavorOne and got a 10k SL. Then just closed

the other one. I haven’t had it long enough to ask for an increase, but I expect to get a nice one once the six months pass

Capital One likes to see usage.   No matter what I doubt you will get a CLI unless you show significant usage on that card.   With a 10K limit a  few hundred a month won't be enough, not sure where line would be but I would be willing to bet it is north 5K.   Of course YMMV. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 4 of 9
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Agree totally with MakingProgress.  My C1 starter cards are extremely hard to get CLI, actually all of my cards including non C1 which is likely due to normally having much less than 30% used and seldom reported if any.  When I finally found the Request CLI link on C1 site I did it religiously every 6 months.  This was while I still had significant UTL but was bringing it down and spending little if any.  Don't know when it stopped but eventually I started receiving the "too little use" denial.

However, I recently started using one of them for my Amazon Prime addiction.  And although I never reported a balance greater than 10%, if any I used it religiously for several months (addiction and all).  After years of nothing I received a 1K increase without me requesting.  So although I think higher spend aids in CLI, for this account it seems it finally liked that I was just using it regularly ($300- $500/14% - 23% UTL) each month for a while.  Always PIF.  Now I'm trying that method on the other starter card that won't move....still addicted for now Smiley Indifferent

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 5 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

If your cards are bucketed, it’s unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) that you’ll get any increases beyond $100 here and there. If your credit is good, you can consider opening a new CapOne prime card, like the Venture or Savor. Those tend to hand out huge SLs. Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 9
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

At 2 years my Kohl's card went from $300 to $700. 3 months later it jumped to $1500.

My QS and QS1 don't budge. DW's QS has grown decently, but it was her daily driver for a while, supporting the use theory.

I have a small subscription payment on my QS. I will be closing the QS1 prior to AF hitting.

GL

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As another has said, cp1 like usage. Not 30% and PIF but run it up and pay. Running it up at least a couple times a month and paying it off might get you an increase.
I got an automatic increase on my six statement cut (thought 7th but was 6th) from $200 to $500.
Still a low limit but it was increased 70% without me requesting. An agent told me to use the luv button after the third statement at the new limit for a food chance at another increase.
Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Kohls maxes out at 3k anyway so noteal growth can be expected. Cap One wants you to use their cards heavy for cli. Ill take Sync and 1 hp anyday of the week and twice on SundaysSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.