Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne CLI tips / backdoors?

tag
bluetegu
Established Member

CapitalOne CLI tips / backdoors?

I'm on a quest to max my FICO score. I'm 827 atm and the one thing left I can do is raise my Cap1QS line as high as I can(its about 22k atm.)  This is my oldest card, almost 18 years.  It was a college card then turned into a platinum then QS.  I usually get 1 or 2k cli if I remember to update income and apply once a year or so.  According to credit wise via cap1 my highest credit lines are not high enough for some one with my credit profile.   How high should it be? I'd like to ask for 50k with the history I have but it appears totally automated now and denies high numbers with recent use of credit line to low.   Is there a backdoor number?

my other cards are 25k 36k 40k 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CapitalOne CLI tips / backdoors?

Hello @bluetegu, welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, there is no backdoor number for Capital One for CLI requests.  Any requests are simply automated and for any CLs >$20K they'll be hard pressed to yield anything higher than what you would normally receive at the moment.  For individuals who were fortunate and able to combine CLs >$25K, their growth is stagnant at best and may see an occasional CLI here and there.

Message 2 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The typical advice for Capital One CLIs is to use the card a lot and pay in full. That can result in increases up to 3k or so.

However, we've occasionally seen people shoot for the moon and get it. What usually happens is that they'll get a "we'll get back to you" message with an approval a few days later.

Don't put a lot of stock into recommendations to increase your credit limits unless that advice comes from this forum. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Since I closed my Venture & moved the limit to my Quicksilver I've been at $31,750 for 2 years with zero cli's...they won't budge. I don't need more but I try here & there. The only way I'll ever see more IMHO would be to open another card & eventually try to combine down the road...

I do use my card for $300-$500 every other month or so...clearly may not be heavy enough use to them for a cli.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty much the same as physh1. Mine has been 27,500 for 10 years. No auto CLIs, and I requested a CLI recently. Nada. They won't budge. I spend about 700-800 per month. They led me to believe that I don't have enough spend on the card to warrant a CLI. 

I PIF, and its primarily a dining and entertainment card, and so its unlikely I'd max it out in one month lol.

Message 5 of 10
Sax2610
Contributor

I hope someone will have some information been with cap1 for 6 years only 1CLI for 1000$

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bluetegu wrote:

I'm on a quest to max my FICO score. I'm 827 atm and the one thing left I can do is raise my Cap1QS line as high as I can(its about 22k atm.)  This is my oldest card, almost 18 years.  It was a college card then turned into a platinum then QS.  I usually get 1 or 2k cli if I remember to update income and apply once a year or so.  According to credit wise via cap1 my highest credit lines are not high enough for some one with my credit profile.   How high should it be? I'd like to ask for 50k with the history I have but it appears totally automated now and denies high numbers with recent use of credit line to low.   Is there a backdoor number?

my other cards are 25k 36k 40k 

I can't comment on the topic of Cap One CLIs.  I will say though that a CLI from Cap One will not improve your 827 score.  Not even a single Fico point.  Keep in mind that the advice you're receiving from Credit Wise is based on a VS3 platform, not Fico.  Fico scoring algorithms aren't going to give you extra points for high[er] limits.  On two otherwise identical profiles one person could have 5 cards with $1000 limits each ($5000 TCL) and another could have 5 cards with $25k limits each ($125k TCL) and if each reported a tiny balance of say $20 on 1 card with the other 4 having $0 reported balance their Fico scores would be identical.

Bottom line is that your credit limits should not be an area of focus at all for you when it comes to your Fico scores if you're already at ideal utilization.  To maximize your scores you want to implement AZEO, described above is just 1 of your major bank cards reporting a small non-zero balance while all others have zero reported balances. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sax2610 wrote:

I hope someone will have some information been with cap1 for 6 years only 1CLI for 1000$

Most Cap One cards that start out activated against a non-ideal profile (young file, dirty file, thin file, etc) will be placed in what some refer to as a starter bucket and will likely never grow significantly.  Cap One card growth has reported to be even slower now since the pandemic.  I'm actually very surprised to hear that the OP was able to take what sounds like a starter card (college days) up to a $22k limit... but with 18 years time on that account anything is possible and perhaps they didn't starter bucket people back then like they do now.

Message 8 of 10
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Maybe spend 22K on the card for three months, then ask for CLI.*** Capital One wants to see utilization.
Capital One has been CLD trigger-happy, reducing balances down, close to how much people actually use.

At this point, I wouldn't even try. Even if you somehow manage to get CLI, they'd probably CLD it again.

***Probably terrible advice.

Message 9 of 10
bluetegu
Established Member

Tried no dice. Did get a venture upgrade offer but not in the market for annual fee.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.