cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne Product Change (Secured to Platinum) ...

tag
Lil_Me
New Contributor

CapitalOne Product Change (Secured to Platinum) ...

I have a secured capital one card. I have had it for a year now and I have had great history with this card. No lates, always paid on time. Is it possible to change this over to an unsecured card with out having to fill out another application and a hard pull again?

10/3/2020 TU: 619, EP: 627, EQ: 613

Discover It $2200, /images.ctfassets.net/vrxttq978is8/6wscgyGnZ3KkFiyrWOJrO4/a8326124891622c78192fa5afe137103/New_Project__1_.png?w=1133&h=1000&q=50 “ height=”40” width=”50”> Avant $500, Credit One $600, One $400, /helzberg.com/media/icons/platinum-credit-card-170x106-opt.jpg “ height=”40” width=”50”> Helzberg $1000, Ann Taylor $500, VS $150, /www.ulta.com/static/images/footer_cc.png “ height=”40” width=”50”> Ulta $400, Amazon Prime $100, Cap 1 $450, Navy Federal $200

Gardening Mode!!!!
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: CapitalOne Product Change (Secured to Platinum) ...

@Lil_Me wrote:

I have a secured capital one card. I have had it for a year now and I have had great history with this card. No lates, always paid on time. Is it possible to change this over to an unsecured card with out having to fill out another application and a hard pull again?

I doubt Cap One will convert this card.  You will have to apply for a new card.  After a year of perfect pay history  your chances are pretty good for a unsecured card from Cap One. 

Message 2 of 23
Juan123
Established Contributor

No, they don't PC cards or graduate them.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Juan123 wrote:

Many people have had successful PC with Cap1.  Graduation may be another story, no personal experience.

Message 4 of 23
beb86
Valued Contributor

The will tell you to apply for another card which the will pull all 3 CRAs resulting in 3 hards
Message 5 of 23
Juan123
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Juan123 wrote:

Many people have had successful PC with Cap1.  Graduation may be another story, no personal experience.

when? it must've been years and years ago.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 6 of 23
Gollum
Established Contributor

The situation with Capital One Visa Platinum cards is confusing:

1.) Capital One apparently issued builder/rebuilder Visa Platinum credit cards at some time in the past.

1.a) Many posters report that those cards will not be product-changed.

2.) Capital One issued prime (or maybe upgraded to prime... dunno) Visa Platinum credit cards at some time in the past.

2.a) At least some (maybe most... dunno) of those cards can be product-changed to a Venture card.

3.) AFAIK, there is/was no name differentiation between the building/rebuilding and the prime cards.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gollum wrote:

The situation with Capital One Visa Platinum cards is confusing:

1.) Capital One apparently issued builder/rebuilder Visa Platinum credit cards at some time in the past.

1.a) Many posters report that those cards will not be product-changed.

2.) Capital One issued prime (or maybe upgraded to prime... dunno) Visa Platinum credit cards at some time in the past.

2.a) At least some (maybe most... dunno) of those cards can be product-changed to a Venture card.

3.) AFAIK, there is/was no name differentiation between the building/rebuilding and the prime cards.

Agreed, it's confusing, and Cap One is of no help. They don't know what they're doing with their own cards.

Regardless, in those cases, the successful PCs have been from unsecured to unsecured card. I really doubt anyone's going to be able to PC from a secured (which is really the lowest of the subprimes) to an unsecured card of any sorts.

Message 8 of 23
Lil_Me
New Contributor

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the information.

10/3/2020 TU: 619, EP: 627, EQ: 613

Discover It $2200, /images.ctfassets.net/vrxttq978is8/6wscgyGnZ3KkFiyrWOJrO4/a8326124891622c78192fa5afe137103/New_Project__1_.png?w=1133&h=1000&q=50 “ height=”40” width=”50”> Avant $500, Credit One $600, One $400, /helzberg.com/media/icons/platinum-credit-card-170x106-opt.jpg “ height=”40” width=”50”> Helzberg $1000, Ann Taylor $500, VS $150, /www.ulta.com/static/images/footer_cc.png “ height=”40” width=”50”> Ulta $400, Amazon Prime $100, Cap 1 $450, Navy Federal $200

Gardening Mode!!!!
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Juan123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Juan123 wrote:

when? it must've been years and years ago.

Yes, years and years... or minutes and minutes.. whichever you prefer. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/I-was-just-upgraded-from-Capital-One-Platinum-Rebuilder-to/td-p/1168905

If we have learned anything here in these forums, it's stop using words like "must" and "never" and "don't" and "can't"... try YMMV or IMHO... at least then people think you were relaying accurate personal experiences that may differ from other people's. It can be very misleading, and detrimental to those still on a credit rebuilding journey looking for the best, most accurate information.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.