Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne Returned Payment Mistake

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapitalOne Returned Payment Mistake

Recently had a returned payment on my capital one Savor card. As a result, they are declining my request for a credit limit increase.

“Decline: due to returned payment”

Question is, how long does this count against me and my ability to get a CLI.

3 month penalty? 12 month? Talked with CSR and they could not give me an answer.

In addition, If anyone has any ideas to get this scrubbed off my capital one records? that would be helpful too.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BrokenBones
New Contributor

Re: CapitalOne Returned Payment Mistake

It was 6 months for me

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 months minimum but many people will find it holds them back for at least a year. Just treat it right and be positive before you pay and check back with them on the CLI in the future.
Message 3 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

May i ask what happened with the returned Payment?
Message 4 of 8
marmaladepie
Regular Contributor

I'm actually in the same boat.

I have a few accts linked to my Cap1 account to pay and by mistake, choose the wrong one (it was a big 10k payment and of course I choose the one that didn't have enough funds). It was returned a few days later and as soon as I noticed it, paid it right away w the correct account.

CLI was recently denied for the same reason as you.

I read some old topics about being able to get the EO office to clean up this 'mark'. Does anyone know how to get in touch w Cap1's EO?

Not sure what that entails exactly. Is there an email I could try?

I've tried calling but the phone reps aren't helpful.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense but with a $10K returned payment, I highly doubt they’re going to remove that flag any time soon and I’m amazed they didn’t shut down your account for it. 

If it were me, I would be looking for a card elsewhere. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait at least 6 months and try again. Don't have anymore returned payments ever or they may shut down the account.

This is one of my biggest fears with CC. I have a Cap1 Spark card and make a couple huge $50k+ payments every month. I always TRIPLE check the post date, pay from account number, and the amount. They would definitely not be happy if I were to have a $50k returned payment.
Message 7 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No offense but with a $10K returned payment, I highly doubt they’re going to remove that flag any time soon and I’m amazed they didn’t shut down your account for it. 

If it were me, I would be looking for a card elsewhere. 

And things like this happening is probably the main reason banks wait for checks to clear before updating available credit. It would be catastrophic for them if they updated the CL, another $10K charge was ran through the card, that check bounced, and they could be out of $20K if this was a bust-out fraud scheme. 

Thank goodness this wasn’t the case because it was repaid the following day. 

I think it’s going to be a long while before this poster gets a CLI. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.