cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne Secured -> Unsecured -> Combine with QS?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapitalOne Secured -> Unsecured -> Combine with QS?

I opened my CapitalOne Secured card nearly a year ago, and just like the others, after my 11th statement cut, it graduated to unsecured.

My deposit was applied to my balance on Friday.

My QS has had 5 statements cut, should I wait until 6 statements to try?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapitalOne Secured -> Unsecured -> Combine with QS?

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened my CapitalOne Secured card nearly a year ago, and just like the others, after my 11th statement cut, it graduated to unsecured.

My deposit was applied to my balance on Friday.

My QS has had 5 statements cut, should I wait until 6 statements to try?

It won't combine. Ever. Tried it in my case, failed. Closed it shortly thereafter.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on graduating... Mines year an 3 months still secured...

Regarding the other response, I remember reading that someone was able to combine and change there secured card to a quicksilver... I only read that once YMMV..... I think it's another one of those cap1 does what they want with which secured accounts they want to things...

Cap1 can have my Certificates of Deposit but that's all the business I'll do with them! Aside from my Kohls charge...
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a regular platinum account now, I am able to request a CLI on it, so I think I should be able to combine or PC like normal. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I think only accounts opened in the last year or so are being graduated. It feels like there were a few in the last couple of months and then a ton in the last couple of weeks that were all opened in February/March of 2016. Prior to that, it seems like it may have been tested on some people who got graduation secured offers.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the first I've personally heard of a Capital One secured card graduating to unsecured. I've had a secured Platinum MC card since the beginning of 2016 ($500 deposit, original line $651, increased to $951 in June) and successfully applied for an unsecured Platinum MC last month with a $3K line. At that point I'd had the secured card for 13+ months and there was no indication from Capital One that it'd be upgraded to unsecured. Do you think there was a significant factor that helped your card graduate (such as low balance as against deposit, etc.)?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine opened in January 2016... I guess I missed the we will insecure your secured boat by 1 month... I don't feel the need to apply for another card with Capital One so I will most likely never have an unsecured line with them that is not retail based...
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the first I've personally heard of a Capital One secured card graduating to unsecured. I've had a secured Platinum MC card since the beginning of 2016 ($500 deposit, original line $651, increased to $951 in June) and successfully applied for an unsecured Platinum MC last month with a $3K line. At that point I'd had the secured card for 13+ months and there was no indication from Capital One that it'd be upgraded to unsecured. Do you think there was a significant factor that helped your card graduate (such as low balance as against deposit, etc.)?

It is a recent thing that just started this year. Lots of reports last month and this month of the graduation right after 11th statement cut.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.