Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One Multiple Cards

tag
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

Capitol One Multiple Cards

I have had a Capitol One Platinum card for about 18 months.  I have tried on several occasions to get a cli and they have said NO! During this time I was late a couple of days, and went over the CL once, but have never had a 30 days late with them.  In your great wisdom could someone tell me what the odds of getting another card with them would be where as they declined a CLI, would this be a precursor to a NO for another card.  I don't want to waste a hard if I don't have a good shot.

Message Edited by robertkinder on 07-23-2008 02:12 PM
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Re: Capitol One Multiple Cards

Oh, I hope you get some good answers to this because I want to know too! I just asked for a CLI on Saturday and they gave me the 7-10 business day. Been a customer for 4 years and never asked for one before. Smiley Sad
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 cards with Cap1.  Go to their Card Lab and apply for another if you feel so inclined.

They wont give a CLI if their "credit deciding computer" says NO.  But that does not necessarily mean they wont give you another card.

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 07-23-2008 11:12 AM

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 07-23-2008 12:04 PM
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try calling this number: 1-800-889-9939

I called the number and asked for CLI. At first the CSR told me that they do not have any offers for me for a CLI. Then I requested to cancel my account since I have other card with high CL and no AF. I also mentioned that I have been a customer with them since 2003 and never got any CLI. Then he put me on hold for a minute and came back with 2 offers:

1. Credit me the $39 AF that I have already paid
or
2. Give me a $500 CLI bring my total CL to $1500

I opted for the second because it will help with my utility.
Message 4 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

If it has been over 90 days since you applied for a Capital One card, and don't mind 3 hard inquiries, Capital One will be more than happy to give you another CC. A lot of people use this as a means to backdoor a CLI by getting a new card, and combining into your old card.

Capital One is actually very good about combining accounts.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 16
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

I posted the gist of this back in May.

I have one Cap One card since May 2007, and they gave me the credit steps from $300 to $500. I didn't know then about the call for increase before the step.

May 2008, the CSR said that I could not get a CLI, but that I could apply for another card and may get a much higher CL. He told me that Cap One allows up to FIVE cards.

Imagine that!

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 6 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@jaysdad2k wrote:
He told me that Cap One allows up to FIVE cards.
Imagine that!

Maybe they allow so many to make up for the fact that they won't let you do a product change, or even grow with you as your score improves.

That way when your scores are up over 700 when you are done rebuilding, you can get a new Capital One card. Smiley Very Happy
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 16
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

As of this past weekend, Cap1 CSRs are still telling people who ask for a CLI or "upgraded" card, to apply for a second card and merge the two cards for a higher limit...rather than get a CLI. I figure one of two things is going on:

1. They're no longer allowed to give CLIs arbitrarily to customers like before, and the CSRs have been told to offer this "work around" to good clients.

2. Due to the current credit debacle, they're getting very picky and nervous about CLIs, so they're forcing people back through their credit approval dept. for closer review of their apps/financial situation to minimize potential default risk.

I'm sure there are a few other possible reasons, so perhaps someone would like to add to the two theories above?

@jaysdad2k wrote:
I have one Cap One card since May 2007, and they gave me the credit steps from $300 to $500. I didn't know then about the call for increase before the step.
May 2008, the CSR said that I could not get a CLI, but that I could apply for another card and may get a much higher CL. He told me that Cap One allows up to FIVE cards.
Imagine that!

Message Edited by TangMeister on 07-24-2008 12:02 AM
Message 8 of 16
alvinsl
Established Member

I was curious about Cap1’s cli policy so i performed a non-scientific test. 

3 weeks a go i called to request a cli on a card i got in May 08. At the time i had an $1100 balance with CL of $1500. I was Declined.

2 days ago, a day after paying my balance down to $21 i called back and was automatically approved for a $500 increase. If i wanted more they would need to get a managers approval but i didn't want to press my luck.

So...cli decisions may partially be based on your current balance at the time of the call.

Just my $.02.

Starting Score: TU=585 EQ=540
Current Score: TU=704 EQ=675
Goal Score: TU=750 EQ=740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

5-15-08 | EQ 627 | EX 630 | TU 649
8-01-08 | EQ 639 | EX 647 | TU 639
12-31-08 | EQ 612 | EX 667 | TU 656
10-17-09 |TU 658 | EQ 652 | EX 687
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaysdad2k wrote:

May 2008, the CSR said that I could not get a CLI, but that I could apply for another card and may get a much higher CL. He told me that Cap One allows up to FIVE cards.

Imagine that!

i apply for a 3rd card and was decline because i have too many cards with then. i think the max is 2
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.