Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One restricting card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capitol One restricting card

I have a situation with Capitol one. I had a card with a small limit of like 300 dollars. I never used the card and have other better cards. After moving they stopped sending me statements and i forgot about the account mistakenly thought it was paid off.. They charged me a bunch of fees on a $50 balance. I contacted them and they told me I had to sign up for their "special offer". I was to pay three payments on it. I had actually just made a payment before I had set up the plan. I explained that to the women on the phone and she said fine then don't pay your first payment. I ended up paying the whole thing off 2 weeks later. The total was not due till mid Nov. Capitol One is refusing to abide by their agreement and unrestrict the card. I was on the phone for a hour with them while they proceeed to actually call my bank and check for the payments. After that then they shot back that they were not going to honor the payment plan and unrestrict my card because I did not make that first payment. So pretty much playing games. They refuse to tell me if the card is closed or open and then the other day hit me with a annual fee. Should I call and pay the small balance and just take the loss on the card and close it. It is really getting stupid at this point. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capitol One restricting card

Were you Late?

If not, no harm done,,.....

Other than you have a bad relationship with Cap1

Frustrating to have a misunderstanding...and Cap1 just ignoring your side...

However, other better cards?...That is the best answer anyone can have GREENER PASTURES

Tell Cap1 "nice knowing you"

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i originally was but then was making paymwnts on it. I have to see what they were reporting on it and if it is true or false. They are now trying to split hairs with me on their "plan". What difference does it make as long as I paid it off and weeks before it was due? Plus I even paid more then the plan said. I am not going to keep paying a annual fee on something I can't use. That and they just won't tell me if the card is closed or not. It's ridiculous. 

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if you were not using it anyway because you have better cards I don't know why you would want it back anyway?!

Message 4 of 7
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Sounds like the move and mail getting bounced back along with the small balance may have triggered their fraud dept to suspend the account.  I'm not sure about thise whole "plan" thing though.  Personally I would just shut it down, pay it off, and write them off as a potential wallet invite in the future.  Things like this is why I have electronic docs, autopay, and autopay on every account that has it as an option.  If an account doesn't offer autopay they go into a 6 or 12 month rotation because I don't feel like tracking multiplle payment dates every month.

Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'm sorry you've had these issues with your Capital One account.  I agree with some of the others here that in this case (with your move) having electronic documents would have likely prevented your problem.  Hindsight is always 20/20 and what's done is done, though... now you need to decide how to move forward.

If it were me, I would probably close the account.  I personally like Capital One (they have worked out well for me) but if you're not using the account anyway it sounds like managing it has become more of a burden than it's worth.  Credit should be a tool, not a burden... if it's not helping you in some way it should be cut loose.

I'll add that when your situation calms down a bit (with your move, etc.) if you were to later decide you wanted a Capital One card you would probably have no problems getting a new account, as long as you close this one properly.

Good luck no matter what you decide!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a situation with Capitol one. I had a card with a small limit of like 300 dollars. I never used the card and have other better cards. After moving they stopped sending me statements and i forgot about the account mistakenly thought it was paid off.. They charged me a bunch of fees on a $50 balance. I contacted them and they told me I had to sign up for their "special offer". I was to pay three payments on it. I had actually just made a payment before I had set up the plan. I explained that to the women on the phone and she said fine then don't pay your first payment. I ended up paying the whole thing off 2 weeks later. The total was not due till mid Nov. Capitol One is refusing to abide by their agreement and unrestrict the card. I was on the phone for a hour with them while they proceeed to actually call my bank and check for the payments. After that then they shot back that they were not going to honor the payment plan and unrestrict my card because I did not make that first payment. So pretty much playing games. They refuse to tell me if the card is closed or open and then the other day hit me with a annual fee. Should I call and pay the small balance and just take the loss on the card and close it. It is really getting stupid at this point. 

Ok it sounds like you forgot to put in a forwarding request at the local post office which is a beginners mistake for moves. There is a reason that every bill is sent First Class Mail so that it will be forwarded for free for 6 months but you must keep the.post office informed and you did not do that. As for the fees they are probably legitimate. First there is interest which is calculated whenever your grace period expires. Then you probably failed to pay the minimum so that's 25-38 dollars right there. If you missed enough statements you might have been sent to collections which will charge its own fees. Now I don't know who what they charged you but those are a few guesses. The "special offer" is probably a payment plan and they will freeze your charging privileges while that is running. The payment plan ends when everything is payed off to 0 and this is by Capitol One receiving payment and not payment sent by your bank. Since this is a annual fee'd card I would recommend quickly sending it down to 0 and closing it since you have better cards already. Technically the card is open but you are not allowed to charge anything new to it because in their eyes you have avoided paying on time and are a liability.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.