Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captial One wants me back?

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Captial One wants me back?

When I started my credit rebuild, Capital One was the first bank to give me a chance. Not knowing better, I went with them and accepted a Quicksilver One CC with a $300 SCL which had an AF of $39.

18 months into my rebuild with decent FICOs in the 690s and I attempted to product change to a CC without an AF to no avail. At this point, my CL was $1,300 and I realized I was bucketed and finally, a CSR told me I would never be able to PC to another card. This prompted me to close the card with little regret. The card served its purpose and I was ready to move on.

For the past 5 weeks, I have gotten a "pre-qualified" offer weekly from Capital One for a Platinium CC with no AF. If I make my payments on time for 5 months, I would be considered for a CLI.  The offer does not come with a fixed interest rate or a starting credit limit.

As a myFICOer, I am a little miffed that Capital One is offering me such a low tiered card considering my FICO scores and my thick profile.  Being in the garden until 2021 I have no temptation in pursuing this offer as Captial One is not a card on my wish list.

With having to take a 3CB HP, I suspect a low SCL and I suspect a high-interest rate, what on earth makes Capital One think this offer is attractive to someone with my credit profile?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Captial One wants me back?

I think it's just advertising a certain product, likely based on old info from when you were with them. Looking at your current scores, you shouldn't have an issue getting any of their products now. Or even after exiting the garden. If you really want back in with them.

Message 2 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I am in the garden to get my 5/24 down. I want into the Chase ecosystem. By 2021, I will be 1/24 and my plan is to apply for only one CC every six months to always be below 5/24. I would be hesitant to acquire a Capital One product because of the triple HP and at this point, there is nothing that they offer that I really want.

Message 3 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It's cheaper to acquire a customer if you can get them to apply for something without a big SUB. If they send out 100 offers to people with good credit, they'll find a few people who don't realize they can do better.

Cap1 prequalified me for QS or Venture One. What I applied for, and got approved for, was a $20k SL Savor with two pulls.

*In my very early credit days (~3 months of history), Cap1 sent me a mailer for a Platinum. No rewards and maybe a $29 or $39 AF. I already had a Freedom, but didn't really understand how picky I could be among cards if I just waited another three months. Having the Cap1 "offer" in front of me had a powerful psychological effect. I seriously considered applying for it!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

It's cheaper to acquire a customer if you can get them to apply for something without a big SUB. If they send out 100 offers to people with good credit, they'll find a few people who don't realize they can do better.

Cap1 prequalified me for QS or Venture One. What I applied for, and got approved for, was a $20k SL Savor with two pulls.

I didn't think about that.

I understand that the reason I was bucketed is that looks good to investors to have customers with lower-tiered cards that have good and very good credit to offset the customers with fair credit in the same portfolio. 

Message 5 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

When I started my credit rebuild, Capital One was the first bank to give me a chance. Not knowing better, I went with them and accepted a Quicksilver One CC with a $300 SCL which had an AF of $39.

18 months into my rebuild with decent FICOs in the 690s and I attempted to product change to a CC without an AF to no avail. At this point, my CL was $1,300 and I realized I was bucketed and finally, a CSR told me I would never be able to PC to another card. This prompted me to close the card with little regret. The card served its purpose and I was ready to move on.

For the past 5 weeks, I have gotten a "pre-qualified" offer weekly from Capital One for a Platinium CC with no AF. If I make my payments on time for 5 months, I would be considered for a CLI.  The offer does not come with a fixed interest rate or a starting credit limit.

As a myFICOer, I am a little miffed that Capital One is offering me such a low tiered card considering my FICO scores and my thick profile.  Being in the garden until 2021 I have no temptation in pursuing this offer as Captial One is not a card on my wish list.

With having to take a 3CB HP, I suspect a low SCL and I suspect a high-interest rate, what on earth makes Capital One think this offer is attractive to someone with my credit profile?

I continue to get Cap 1 platinum offers in the mail at about one a week. 

Today I received a different mailer from Cap 1 with silver embossed lettering on the front of the envelope declaring "OFFER RESERVED FOR:" and "0% INTRO APR" and "$0 ANNUAL FEE" and the oh-so exclusive "$0 FRAUD LIABILITY"!  It also had a stiffness to it as if there was a lot of information inside.

I opened it up as my curiosity got to me and... humph... it is the same old offer for a platinum card in new and different wrapping. 

This kind of feels like the time when I broke up with a girlfriend and she stalked me for over a year. Aren't their laws against that???

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here in Canada they send out matte black envelopes with gold metallic printing for their guaranteed acceptance card. (Either a no-perks card with an annual fee or a secured card)

Guaranteed means:

• You haven’t applied for a Capital One account more than once in the last 30 days
  • You don’t have an existing Capital One® account or a pending application for one
  • You haven’t had a Capital One account that was not in good standing in the last year

I'd consider applying if they gave me a supply of envelopes. Smiley Wink 

Message 7 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

Easy, you were willing to take 3hps for a card before, why wouldnt you again?Smiley Wink. Capital One knows  its clientele well, why else do people ask " What's in your Wallet?" 😁

Message 8 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

Easy, you were willing to take 3hps for a card before, why wouldnt you again?Smiley Wink. Capital One knows  its clientele well, why else do people ask " What's in your Wallet?" 😁

I was credit ignorant when I applied for my first Capital One card. I am curious to know how many people who are not active forum members realize when applying for a Capital One card gets 3B pulled. Capital One is not in my wallet,

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Medic981 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

I was credit ignorant when I applied for my first Capital One card. I am curious to know how many people who are not active forum members realize when applying for a Capital One card gets 3B pulled. Capital One is not in my wallet,

I've had 5 cards with Capital One and the triple pull doesn't bother me one bit. If it was the same bureau it would be an issue but the limits they trust me with and the fact they trusted me when nobody else would, I don't mind. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.