cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car payment with new Amex card (TIO / Chargesmart)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car payment with new Amex card (TIO / Chargesmart)

I am thinking about paying car payment through TIO, formerly ChargeSmart, with new Platinum I got last month.  I have not paid yet and it is due end of this month.

Since it is so new, and no payment yet, if I charge thru TIO, will it spook Amex?   And will it be categorized as a cash advance when I pay TD auto through TIO?

Anyone ever tried with new card?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car payment with new Amex card (TIO / Chargesmart)

@Anonymous wrote:

I am thinking about paying car payment through TIO, formerly ChargeSmart, with new Platinum I got last month.  I have not paid yet and it is due end of this month.

Since it is so new, and no payment yet, if I charge thru TIO, will it spook Amex?   And will it be categorized as a cash advance when I pay TD auto through TIO?

Anyone ever tried with new card?

Don't see a reason it would, Amex will still get their swipe fee from TIO just like any other purchase, and no it will not be categorized as cash advance. FYI, Plastiq charges lower rate than TIO from my experience.
Message 2 of 10
trant3
Established Contributor

IMO, yes it will spook Amex, appears to be a form of MS

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trant3 wrote:

Definitely will not spook them and no it's not MS.  It's the same as using your credit card to pay a uitility, insurance, or any other bill but in this case you have to go thru an intermediary that assesses a fee to do so. Plenty of people have used their Amex cards with Plastiq and other similar services without any problem whatsoever.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@trant3 wrote:

Definitely will not spook them and no it's not MS.  It's the same as using your credit card to pay a uitility, insurance, or any other bill but in this case you have to go thru an intermediary that assesses a fee to do so. Plenty of people have used their Amex cards with Plastiq and other similar services without any problem whatsoever.

I do know many using Amex with Plastiq... The problem might be I havent paid a penny yet for this account, althoughI have other Amex cards in good standing.   Will it make a difference?    There are so many stories in this board, I am really trying to be cautious

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made a car payment with my PRG to snag the points faster. it was a brand new account and I had an Amex everyday card for about a year before. No worries.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not Amex but I made a $1500 extra mortgage payment through TIO on my PenFed Power Cash literally 5 minutes after activation to fulfill the bonus requirement, not a peep from PenFed.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@trant3 wrote:

I do know many using Amex with Plastiq... The problem might be I havent paid a penny yet for this account, althoughI have other Amex cards in good standing.   Will it make a difference?    There are so many stories in this board, I am really trying to be cautious

Well you have to sift thru the stories and there can be a lot of false assumptions in some threads.  I have used a new Amex card with Plastiq without any problems whatsoever.

Message 8 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

+1.  Used Plastiq on my SPG card for large amounts earlier this year.  Zero issues.  Just don't use it to pay yourself or a family member.

Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

200% Plastiq has never been an issue with ANY of my creditor issues... I have had a fraud alert for the amount of charge but upon verifying they actually added Plastiq as a verified regular merchant for me so it would NEVER happen again and it hasn't since then!

The only reason it throws the fraud more often for some creditors is they put the "Plastiq Fee" through as a 2nd charge to the actual amount you are paying, so 2 back to back charges makes many credit systems think it's testing your card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.