Car rental options

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Car rental options

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I gotta look at my accounts but I believe I have a number of Hertz points saved up and was thinking maybe I should book an award (I think there is some confusion so let me clarify when I say award I mean using actual Hertz points for the rental vs paying for the full rental on my credit card which I think may cause a problem with the credit card insurance not being triggered) rental for two days. I don't have car insurance so normally I use a credit card for CDW and purchase personal injury insurance from the rental agency. I have points saved up on my arrival card so I was thinking about booking an award rental on points and then using the arrival card to pay for any taxes and insurance. Would those charges count as travel for arrival redemption purposes since they are paid to the rental car agency? Is there a more cost effective option?

You need to put the full payment onto your card to get  CDW/LDW. If you want to use the points I would suggest just getting CDW with Hertz. 

Actually I was reading something that said you only redeem the points at the end of the rental. I'm not sure if this is the case but I could rent using the card and if there is no problem with the car upon return I can pay with award points and if there is an issue I can have them charge my credit card? Problem appears to be that if I do that I can't use the pay now feature and therefore the price will be a bit higher, but I guess that would only come into play if there was an issue. Anyone have experience redeeming hertz points know when they collect them or if they will hold off until end of rental for redemption? 

I have never used Hertz so I wouldn't know but they do say in the T&C with the fine print with the CC's you need to pay it in full with your CC to get it. I use National whenever I book car rentals since I am an emerald exective which means I can go into sn Exective asile and pick any car in it, free upgrades like from Mid size to full size and faster free rental days (6 compared to 7 with the base Emerald club membership). 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 21 of 31
red259
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I gotta look at my accounts but I believe I have a number of Hertz points saved up and was thinking maybe I should book an award (I think there is some confusion so let me clarify when I say award I mean using actual Hertz points for the rental vs paying for the full rental on my credit card which I think may cause a problem with the credit card insurance not being triggered) rental for two days. I don't have car insurance so normally I use a credit card for CDW and purchase personal injury insurance from the rental agency. I have points saved up on my arrival card so I was thinking about booking an award rental on points and then using the arrival card to pay for any taxes and insurance. Would those charges count as travel for arrival redemption purposes since they are paid to the rental car agency? Is there a more cost effective option?

You need to put the full payment onto your card to get  CDW/LDW. If you want to use the points I would suggest just getting CDW with Hertz. 

Actually I was reading something that said you only redeem the points at the end of the rental. I'm not sure if this is the case but I could rent using the card and if there is no problem with the car upon return I can pay with award points and if there is an issue I can have them charge my credit card? Problem appears to be that if I do that I can't use the pay now feature and therefore the price will be a bit higher, but I guess that would only come into play if there was an issue. Anyone have experience redeeming hertz points know when they collect them or if they will hold off until end of rental for redemption? 

I have never used Hertz so I wouldn't know but they do say in the T&C with the fine print with the CC's you need to pay it in full with your CC to get it. I use National whenever I book car rentals since I am an emerald exective which means I can go into sn Exective asile and pick any car in it, free upgrades like from Mid size to full size and faster free rental days (6 compared to 7 with the base Emerald club membership). 

Yea, the trick is to pay the full fee on the card if there is an issue if there is no problem then pay with points and just put the taxes etc on card. I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and pay for the rental on the card and then just use the cash back to offset it later. Will save the points for another time when the rental fees are astronomical. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 22 of 31
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Yea, the trick is to pay the full fee on the card if there is an issue if there is no problem then pay with points and just put the taxes etc on card. I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and pay for the rental on the card and then just use the cash back to offset it later. Will save the points for another time when the rental fees are astronomical. 

I agree. Save the points for later when prices are higher. Unless you need to save cash then that is the best idea IMHO.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 23 of 31
red259
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I agree. Save the points for later when prices are higher. Unless you need to save cash then that is the best idea IMHO.

Always looking to save cash, but summertime is just around the corner and prices will rise. 

;
Message 24 of 31
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Always looking to save cash, but summertime is just around the corner and prices will rise. 

Well i meant saving cash by necessity ... You'll save more later i meant.

Message 25 of 31
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

I took it as a lesson learned BUT for them to come on Yelp and ask me for the rental info to make themselves look like they care was just plain BS. 

Are you able to do an update to your review to point out that even though they posted that they never bothered to contact you?

Oh yeah beleive me I did, so others won't fall into that sham they are pulling. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 26 of 31
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@chally wrote:

I don't pretend to have a firm handle on this, but most credit cards offer secondary insurance on car rentals. They pay what your own individual insurance won't. Which means if you live in an area where insurance claims are tied to surcharges, you may want to look into renting with a CC that provides Primary Insurance ie Amex (once enrolled), CSP, ect.

On the other hand I rented a car thru Avis on my lowly Sears Citi card back in the day and was on the reciving end of a 'minor' hit and run, MC took care of everything.

That's why I used my AMEX. Primary coverage.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 27 of 31
red259
Super Contributor

Just an update. I was reading an article today that says that Amex WILL cover award rentals with insurance IF you used that same amex card for the paid rentals that lead to the award. I'm not sure how they figure out if all your points were from rentals paid with amex vs only some of them, but it is a point in the favor of using amex on future rentals.  

;
Message 28 of 31
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

@chally wrote:

I don't pretend to have a firm handle on this, but most credit cards offer secondary insurance on car rentals. They pay what your own individual insurance won't. Which means if you live in an area where insurance claims are tied to surcharges, you may want to look into renting with a CC that provides Primary Insurance ie Amex (once enrolled), CSP, ect.

On the other hand I rented a car thru Avis on my lowly Sears Citi card back in the day and was on the reciving end of a 'minor' hit and run, MC took care of everything.

Is this a feature that is part of some particular Amex cards or is it on all Amexes, j/c?

Message 29 of 31
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

@chally wrote:

Is this a feature that is part of some particular Amex cards or is it on all Amexes, j/c?

It's an optional thing you can enroll for on certain  AMEX cards, and they charge you $17 flat fee (California) per rental for coverage. For me it's on my AMEX Hilton

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.