Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Reader Instead Of Gift Cards??

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Card Reader Instead Of Gift Cards??

@MASTERNC wrote:

I just looked at Amazon Payments.  Can someone describe how they use it for the purposes described in this thread?  The website says you cannot send payments to yourself if using a credit card.

You send it to a trusted person, who either puts in their bank account and gives you a check or similar, or later makes you an Amazon payment.

Message 11 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Its good for meeting spend, potentially a little risky for regular use (especially if you are careless, A sending $1000 to B and then B sending $1000 to A every month) but many do.   A 1% card earns $10 per month, worth it?  Individual decision!

Message 12 of 19
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

I guess i wasnt necessarily thinking of the 1% monthly back - but more of "spend $1000 in your first 3 months - for $xxx bonus" etc

Message 13 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

I guess i wasnt necessarily thinking of the 1% monthly back - but more of "spend $1000 in your first 3 months - for $xxx bonus" etc

Yes, that's what I meant by "good for meeting spend".   One of the easier ways to help meet the target.

Message 14 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

Like longtimelurker said, you basically will need to send it to someone else for amazon payments. Not a big deal though. You can always send it to your spouse / siblings / parents and have them write you a check in return.

If amazon payments isn't enough to help meet minimum spending, I would recommend gift cards as the next step. Bill payment services charges more for fees, and square / merchant readers may result in fraud concerns. If you can find a friend who has a legitimate business and do it through him (just so there is a legitimate TIN and different billing address), then you should be fine.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 19
newdaddy113
Regular Contributor

I don't suggest using the card reader. I got an FR on my Amex card. The customer rep specifically mention that I was FR because of using the square card. So I suggest not going that route.
Amex Green Card (NPSL) 03/13 - BOA ($7200) 03/13 - WELLS FARGO ($500) 03/13 - DISCOVER IT ($5800) 12/13 Amex delta gold ($18,400) 1/1/14. Amex Gold Business Card (NPSL) 1/2/14. Chase Freedom($7900) 1/9/14 NavyFederal ($25000) 1/16/14 Best Buy ($1000) 8/4/14 Barclays Arrival Plus($12500) 1/29/16 Chase CSP($20000) 1/29/16 Penfed Platinum Rewards ($16000) 1/29/16 NavyFed goRewards ($5000) 1/29/16.
Credit Score EX- 760 EQ- 735 TU- 763 Oldest account 3.2yrs aaoa 2.2 yrs.
Message 16 of 19
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Well Amazon may not be an easy option for me.  I applied for a personal account but then received a message saying they could not verify my identity.  I returned to the site and re-entered my information, only to receive the same message a few minutes later.  I wrote Customer Service, who said strangely "we are not able to approve your request for an Amazon Payments Account based on our review of your intended use of our payments service" and, therefore, my account is restricted.  I'm not sure how they can say this when I applied for a personal account and was not asked for a purpose.

Anyone else have this experience and how did you fix it?  Sorry to go off topic.

Message 17 of 19
Anthonykc
New Contributor

I had the same problem when I first signed up. They needed me to fax my ID or a bill with me name and address.
Sent fax and its was verified couple days after.
Current Score: 715 Goal Score: 775 Will Garden Soon.

CapitalOne Platinum $1.5K | CapitalOne MTV $1.5K | BestBuy Store $6K | Kays $3.5K | Military Star $2K | DiscoverIT $8K | AMEX BCE $1K Smiley Sad | NFUC Flagship $13.5K | USAA World MC $8K | USAA Rate Adv $8K | CSP 5K 10/2013 | NFCU LOC $10K
Message 18 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

@masternc, when you open an amazon payments account, they do try to match that info with your public records. Something probably didn't match up, which is why they restricted your account. Try calling them, or email the ECR department - they are the ones who usually handle fraud prevention and ID verification issues.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.