Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Recommendations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card Recommendations

I am new to the forum and wanted to get your inputs on which card to apply for my situation.

My wife has quite a bit of work related travel expenses coming up in the next 6 months (expecting around 10 return trips from mid west to SFO, 25-35 days of stay in a good hotel and restaurant expenses to boot totalling to 15-20k overall) and we wanted to get a card which would justify these expenses and maybe ensure I can make a couple fo trips to SFO for free as well.

The problem is both of us a new to credit. She has 5 months of credit history and has a BOA Cash Rewards and Comenity Bank Credit Card and is a AU on my Chase Freedom. I have 3 months of Credit history with a Capital One Secured Credit Card, DCU Platinum, Chase Freedom in my name and also a DCU Autoloan which I have paid down to 20% in 3 months. 

I am assuming her CS will be lower to mid 700s when it is available in a month. We wanted to apply for the CSP since it seems to be the best card around generally and since I have a decent relationship with chase (SB with 15K, DD setup and Freedom). Only good factor relatively is that our combined HH income is close to 180k but not sure if chase considers it a significant factor.

Is CSP too long a shot given the limited credit history? Any alternatives for making sure we can maximize reward points for the upcoming spend and try to get a couple of trips to SFO for free?

P.S : I am happy to have found this forum so early in my credit journey!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Card Recommendations

Welcome to the forums, OP!

The CSP might be a little difficult to get with 3-5 months of history, but I fancy your chances in about 3-6 months - I got mine at 10 months, with income far less than yours. Banking and existing relationships with Chase, in my experience, are a big plus.

That said, if you are planning to apply for the CSP, try checking the prequal page - Chase's prequal is quite solid. In the event that they reject your application, definitely call and recon, citing existing Chase relationship, desire to expand your relationship with them, and income.

Travel cards are in general harder to get than other rewards cards, but you might consider the AMEX PRG. Firstly, AMEX is a lot more sensitive to income, and might be much more open to giving you the card in spite of a short history if you have the requisite income. Secondly, AMEX seems to have gotten quite a bit easier to get recently, after they lost Costco. If you decide on the PRG, use an incognito browser window, and try out the AMEX prequal page to see if you can get the 50k MR points for 1k spend or the 65k MR points over two years offers - don't settle for the 25k MR offer!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSP might be a little difficult to get with 3-5 months of history, but I fancy your chances in about 3-6 months - I got mine at 10 months, with income far less than yours. Banking and existing relationships with Chase, in my experience, are a big plus.

That said, if you are planning to apply for the CSP, try checking the prequal page - Chase's prequal is quite solid. In the event that they reject your application, definitely call and recon, citing existing Chase relationship, desire to expand your relationship with them, and income.

Travel cards are in general harder to get than other rewards cards, but you might consider the AMEX PRG. Firstly, AMEX is a lot more sensitive to income, and might be much more open to giving you the card in spite of a short history if you have the requisite income. Secondly, AMEX seems to have gotten quite a bit easier to get recently, after they lost Costco. If you decide on the PRG, use an incognito browser window, and try out the AMEX prequal page to see if you can get the 50k MR points for 1k spend or the 65k MR points over two years offers - don't settle for the 25k MR offer!

Thanks for the response!

We were thinking of applying after a month with 6 months of history for my wife. Does Chase consider my banking relationship with them when my wife applies for CSP (she mainly banks with BoA and I have everything setup with chase)? Is there any way to make them do this explicity by maybe applying at the bank? I will check the prequal site for sure before we apply.

AMEX PRG seems to be a good option if you ignore the very high annual fee. Is it easy to downgrade to BCE from PRG? Also, how easy is it to transfer the MR points to hotels/flights and how much is it normally valued at for flights/hotels?

If this work related expense hadn't come up we were thinking of applying for a Discover IT after 2 months since our files are fairly clean but not sure if we should change our application strategy esp with Chase 5/24 and big travel expenses on the horizon

Hopefully, In a month I can update this thread with some success Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response!

We were thinking of applying after a month with 6 months of history for my wife. Does Chase consider my banking relationship with them when my wife applies for CSP (she mainly banks with BoA and I have everything setup with chase)? Is there any way to make them do this explicity by maybe applying at the bank? I will check the prequal site for sure before we apply.

AMEX PRG seems to be a good option if you ignore the very high annual fee. Is it easy to downgrade to BCE from PRG? Also, how easy is it to transfer the MR points to hotels/flights and how much is it normally valued at for flights/hotels?

If this work related expense hadn't come up we were thinking of applying for a Discover IT after 2 months since our files are fairly clean but not sure if we should change our application strategy esp with Chase 5/24 and big travel expenses on the horizon

You cant product change the PRG to the BCE.  Charge cards cant be converted to revolvers.  It's very easy to transfe points and they are valued at around $.02 per point but can be worth even more depending on the partner you transfer to and type of flight you book.  The $195 Af is offset by a yearly $100 airline fee so it's not an unreasonable  AF

Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And the AF on the PRG is waived for the first year anyway

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response!

I'm inclined to guess no - it seems more likely that the (anecdotal) banking relationship advantage applies to the person who has the banking relationship only. But it's only a guess, your mileage may vary on this, and maybe someone else can weigh in regarding this topic.

+1 on all the points made about AMEX above.

The Discover it Miles would work pretty well in your case too - Discover likes thin but clean files, and the Miles has double cash back (so 3% on everything) for the first year. But I think if you are looking to redeem for flights and hotels, Chase and AMEX would give you more value, with transferable points that could fetch a high number of cents per point.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate all of the inputs. I will try to see if Chase CSP/AMEX PRG would work and if not look for Discover Miles as a backup option.

Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think Tridente is probably right, in that they will look at the person applying individually because ultimately, they are the ones thought of to be paying on the card.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.