Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Re: Card Recommendations

I don't pay annual fees and this is my current set up:

- BOA: online shopping 3%
- Chase: pharmacy, dining 3%
- NFCU: groceries, gas and transit 3%
- Citi DC: everything else 2%

I just keep the rest alive with subs for diversity & history with lenders in case they come up with a better product. 

Message 11 of 38
BMW_Jess

@Aim_High wrote:

Welcome to My Fico Forums @BMW_Jess  ... or at least out of the shadows! Smiley Happy

Your card lineup and scores are helpful, but tell us more about what you're hoping to achieve.  Are you happy with the cards you have now?  Have you identified some area of heavier regular spending where you'd benefit from having better rewards, such as a restaurant or gasoline card?  Do you like rotating category cards?  Do you want higher limit cards or are you happy with your current limits?  Do you ever carry balances and want a low-APR card?  In the past, have you had any bankruptcies or delinquencies involving any particular lenders?   Where do you have current banking relationships?  Do you prefer cash back only or would you like to branch out into some form of travel rewards?  Are you averse to annual fees or would they be okay as long as you get enough overall value from the card?   All of these things might help us give you better suggestions. 

I do have one suggestion.  While I've enjoyed my Capital One Quicksilver experience overall, I think most everyone (especially those not doing travel point systems) can benefit from a great basic 2% or higher cash-back card.  The 1.5% cards are commonplace, but 2% is becoming more and more accessible.  Over time, that extra 1/2 or more percentage can add up.

Here is a recent thread discussing some of the better 2% or better cash-back options:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/2-3-Cashback-CB-Credit-Card-CC-List/m-p/6197473

Here is a thread discussing the 5% rotating category cards:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-list-of-5-rotators-Anything-missing/td-p...

Thank you for the great response!  Let's see;

My heavier spending is usually gasoline and restaurant/grocery.  My Capital One and Discover both give cash back; and that has been a great reward thus far.  I do travel; but I am not sure if I travel enough to look at a card with travel/hotel/flight rewards.

The Lowe's card is the first charge on there since they upped my limit to $35K.  It is a 24 month 0% interest deal I took on a new refrigerator.  So that balance will probably be paid off in the next year; or sooner if I throw my bonus at it.  The Discover card is the only card I am currently carrying a balance on monthly, and it just came out of the 1 year 0% interest.  It was new LVP flooring for my entire house.

I have never filed for any bankruptcy, and the only derogatory I have is one item; and it is 5 years old.  Medical bill that they failed to charge to my insurance, and now the hospital has went out of business.  I have been trying to find someone to fix it; but with no luck so far.  It's about $1K.

I am not adverse to a yearly fee; but I would prefer to avoid if possible.  I currently bank with CPU Credit Union, but plan to apply to get in with Navy Federal this week.  Going to open a checking account with direct deposit from my employer sent there.

I have been slowly getting CLI on these cards; Lowe's started at a $3K offer 2 years ago when I purchased my house.  I called in and they raised to to $15K starting; and I am at $35K as of about 3 months ago.  I would love to have a larger credit line; Discover has not shown me any love, but I am sure it's due to carrying a balance for the one year I've had the card.  Captial One has been only giving out small increases the last year or two.

I will check out the two posts you suggested!  

Thank you again for the warm welcome!

Message 12 of 38
BMW_Jess

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Welcome @BMW_Jess. Smiley Happy

Could you give us the dates that your accounts were opened… either that or their ages in months or years/months?

Have you been using your QS1 regularly? If so, you might be able to upgrade it to a no-fee card.

Hi!   Most of my credit line has been built in the last 2 years.

CPM Credit Card $1500/$0 - Opened 5/17 (No perks; emergency card)

Victoria Secret $4300/$0 - Opened 4/18 (CLI last month; no balance for 2+ years)

Capital One $2400/$1050 - Opened 12/18 (Daily use card; paid down consistently)

Lowes $35000/$3100 - Opened 11/19 (Balance is 0% interest for 2 years; 1 month old)

Discover $5500/$1900 - Opened 5/20 (Just came off 0% interest)

Yes my QS1 is my daily use card; it was the first card I was approved for that was not secured/store.

Message 13 of 38
BMW_Jess

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

My favorite card in my lineup is probably my BOA customized cash rewards bc of the 3% online shopping category. 

Oh... now Online Shopping is my preference.  I may need to take a look at BOA.

Message 14 of 38
BMW_Jess

@unsungivy wrote:

I mean... what's your actual goal? Looking at the cards you have, you have a flat rate 1.5% with the Quicksilver, and the solid rotator with Discover It. The others are store cards.

Are you looking for cards that will help your get more back out of your normal spend patterns (such as cards for groceries, gas, dining, travel), or just cards to improve your credit for the sake of improving it with high spend limits, such as NFCU doles out?

Are you looking to cover your bases with "types" of cards (Visa, amex, MC, disco)... or? How do you feel about annual fees? Cashback vs points?

I think that is part of what I am trying to figure out.  I would love to get back more for my normal spending; but I am also wanting to grow my record with more banks.  5 years ago I was homeless with a 400 credit score, 2 years ago I bought my first home, and I have been consistently trying to continue my upward trend of gaining trust and credit.  

I have went with cashback; as I am not too confident in the points systems.  I figured starting out cashback was a clear cut way to get my feet wet, but I have read a lot here and am determined to learn even more.

Thank you for the great thought inducing questions!

Message 15 of 38
BMW_Jess

@KJinNC wrote:

We'd need more information for specific answers, mainly about what your spend is and/or if you have any specific goals such as "maximum credit limit" or "get in with big banks". That said, a couple of things to consider. 1) If you are under 5/24 (which refers to opening five cards in the past 24 months), I'd look at Chase's lineup to see if they have anything you think would be a fit. The reason I say this is that once you start building, you are likely to go over 5/24 and have to wait a long time for Chase. I have 800+ scores and can't get a Chase card due to this unusual rule. 2) If you are 1/12 or 0/12 (refers to cards opened in the past 12 months), you might want to look at US Bank for similar reasons. 3) Amex is a great company to be in with, IMO. Personally, I'd look at them next. They have many options for different types of uses, and can grow nicely. 4) If you haven't yet, you might consider trying to join Navy Federal (relatively easy) or USAA (more stringent). Both have some interesting card options and are relationships you'd want to build.

I would avoid store cards at this point. By which I mean a card that is only valid at that store. A cobrand card that is a Visa, MC, or uses the Amex network is fine if it fits your needs. Store cards are scored a bit differently, and you have plenty of them IMO.

Just some thoughts. Seems you're off to a good start. Good luck!

Thank you!!  I am currently 0/12 and 2/24 - but will be 1/24 in December.   I don't plan to go for anymore store cards; Lowe's was the only card that I really wanted due to buying a home and renovating, VS was my first card with the "shopping cart" trick.

I am planning on applying to get in with NFCU this week coming; my Dad is a Veteran so I don't think I will have any issues.  I am going to set up direct deposit with part of my paycheck from my employer.

I will look into Chase and US Bank, I have heard of Chase but I worried my one derog would cause me a denial.  It's from 5/16 and is a medical bill that was not properly charged to my insurance.  The hospital has since went out of business and I have been fighting to try to have it removed.  

Thank you for the great ideas; I have taken notes and am going to look into these cards!

Message 16 of 38
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

I was approved for Chase freedom with 3 collections(under $1k), but that was 4yrs ago. Just for reference.

Message 17 of 38
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@BMW_Jess, the ages of your current accounts are in great shape. You won't run into an issue with new accounts getting in the way.

If you're looking at US Bank, it should be your first application. They tend to deny if one has opened one credit card account within the past twelve months. You may want to consider picking up one or two cards now, then maybe looking at US Bank down the road.

NFCU is a great idea, and your profile seems to be tailer-made for them. I think you'll be surprised by the limit you get.

Upgrade offers are few and far between on QS1 cards, but I think you might be eligible. Using this pesky card each and every month seems to be the key to coaxing an offer. I was able to upgrade two QS1s after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage.

You should call in or chat to see if you have upgrade offers available, If you're offered a no-fee card, don't be picky about which product it is. Once you've gotten rid of the fee, other upgrade offers will likely follow after six months have passed. Frequently, people are offered a VentureOne. Then they receive an offer in six months to upgrade to Quicksilver. Hopefully, you get the Quicksilver offer right away. But if VentureOne is the best that's offered, take it.

Also, you should check the pre-quals for Chase, AMEX, and Discover and report your results back here.

Message 18 of 38
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BMW_Jess wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

Welcome to My Fico Forums @BMW_Jess  ... or at least out of the shadows! Smiley Happy

Your card lineup and scores are helpful, but tell us more about what you're hoping to achieve.  Are you happy with the cards you have now?  Have you identified some area of heavier regular spending where you'd benefit from having better rewards, such as a restaurant or gasoline card?  Do you like rotating category cards?  Do you want higher limit cards or are you happy with your current limits?  Do you ever carry balances and want a low-APR card?  In the past, have you had any bankruptcies or delinquencies involving any particular lenders?   Where do you have current banking relationships?  Do you prefer cash back only or would you like to branch out into some form of travel rewards?  Are you averse to annual fees or would they be okay as long as you get enough overall value from the card?   All of these things might help us give you better suggestions. 

I do have one suggestion.  While I've enjoyed my Capital One Quicksilver experience overall, I think most everyone (especially those not doing travel point systems) can benefit from a great basic 2% or higher cash-back card.  The 1.5% cards are commonplace, but 2% is becoming more and more accessible.  Over time, that extra 1/2 or more percentage can add up.

Here is a recent thread discussing some of the better 2% or better cash-back options:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/2-3-Cashback-CB-Credit-Card-CC-List/m-p/6197473

Here is a thread discussing the 5% rotating category cards:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-list-of-5-rotators-Anything-missing/td-p...

Thank you for the great response!  Let's see;

My heavier spending is usually gasoline and restaurant/grocery.  My Capital One and Discover both give cash back; and that has been a great reward thus far.  I do travel; but I am not sure if I travel enough to look at a card with travel/hotel/flight rewards.

The Lowe's card is the first charge on there since they upped my limit to $35K.  It is a 24 month 0% interest deal I took on a new refrigerator.  So that balance will probably be paid off in the next year; or sooner if I throw my bonus at it.  The Discover card is the only card I am currently carrying a balance on monthly, and it just came out of the 1 year 0% interest.  It was new LVP flooring for my entire house.

I have never filed for any bankruptcy, and the only derogatory I have is one item; and it is 5 years old.  Medical bill that they failed to charge to my insurance, and now the hospital has went out of business.  I have been trying to find someone to fix it; but with no luck so far.  It's about $1K.

I am not adverse to a yearly fee; but I would prefer to avoid if possible.  I currently bank with CPU Credit Union, but plan to apply to get in with Navy Federal this week.  Going to open a checking account with direct deposit from my employer sent there.

I have been slowly getting CLI on these cards; Lowe's started at a $3K offer 2 years ago when I purchased my house.  I called in and they raised to to $15K starting; and I am at $35K as of about 3 months ago.  I would love to have a larger credit line; Discover has not shown me any love, but I am sure it's due to carrying a balance for the one year I've had the card.  Captial One has been only giving out small increases the last year or two.

I will check out the two posts you suggested!  

Thank you again for the warm welcome!

1.  You should send the credit bureaus verification letters on the medical collection. If the bureaus receive no response verifying the item, they will remove the item from the reports.

2.  I'm not sure you should apply for another card now, but when you join NFCU you might want to get their Cash Rewards card.  You might also want to consider Citi Custom Cash, DoubleCash, or Premier cards, Chase Freedom Flex or Freedom Unlimited, or Amex Blue Cash Everyday.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 19 of 38
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@BMW_Jess wrote:

@unsungivy wrote:

I mean... what's your actual goal? Looking at the cards you have, you have a flat rate 1.5% with the Quicksilver, and the solid rotator with Discover It. The others are store cards.

Are you looking for cards that will help your get more back out of your normal spend patterns (such as cards for groceries, gas, dining, travel), or just cards to improve your credit for the sake of improving it with high spend limits, such as NFCU doles out?

Are you looking to cover your bases with "types" of cards (Visa, amex, MC, disco)... or? How do you feel about annual fees? Cashback vs points?

I think that is part of what I am trying to figure out.  I would love to get back more for my normal spending; but I am also wanting to grow my record with more banks.  5 years ago I was homeless with a 400 credit score, 2 years ago I bought my first home, and I have been consistently trying to continue my upward trend of gaining trust and credit.  

I have went with cashback; as I am not too confident in the points systems.  I figured starting out cashback was a clear cut way to get my feet wet, but I have read a lot here and am determined to learn even more.

Thank you for the great thought inducing questions!

Thats amazing!!! You can definitely be super proud of everything you've done for yourself!!

Others have thrown out some good points, such as being mindful of the Chase 5/24 rule, and US Bank being a first app if that's a goal for you.

As you have said that you are going to be joining Navy, I would recommend you apply for their More Rewards card when you do so (or soon after), since that will already be an association you're making. The card will give you 3x back in gas/transit, groceries, and dining... which will cover most of your major bases, and does not have a FTF or annual fee. (I have the BoA customized cash card myself, since you mentioned online shopping... but I think you would benefit more from your "daily" expenses to start.) Additional bonuses to More Rewards cards in your case: it's an AMEX, which you do not have yet, and it's technically a "points" system, but one that you can redeem for 1:1 cashback... that will give you the chance to get your toes wet in a points system without "risk" of the full points game. And of course, Navy seems to be a fan favorite around here for giving out large credit limits and customer service (I think?).

SD - Biz -
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.