Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card for cashback on Utility bills?

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Card for cashback on Utility bills?

What cards currently offer the best cashback on utility bills?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Card for cashback on Utility bills?

Barclays offers the Arrival World MC with 2% off everything  and the Rewards MC that give 2% on utilities, grocerues and gas, 1% on all else.

Message 2 of 26
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Also Bank of America Better Balance Rewards. Put one bill on it, and collect your $100 a year cash back.

IF you can get it, the Huntington Voice can choose Utilities for its 3% cash back category

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 26
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

I put everything on my Barclay Arrival (2%). There is also the Fidelity Amex (2%) but some bills don't take AMEX (traffic tickets for instance). You can also get a Chase Business card and get 5% on internet and phone bills only.

I personally prefer to have just one card for a spending category and not worry about.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 4 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

+1 to Huntington Voice.  It's worked out nicely in my case for this very reason.  Not sure if it's fully rolled out, but they tend to pull EQ.  They gave me one of my higher limits and it was instantly approved about 6 months ago.  I have no other relationship with them.

Message 5 of 26
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

I put everything on my Barclay Arrival (2%). There is also the Fidelity Amex (2%) but some bills don't take AMEX (traffic tickets for instance). You can also get a Chase Business card and get 5% on internet and phone bills only.

I personally prefer to have just one card for a spending category and not worry about.

Also the American Express Simply Cash business card offers 5% on wireless telephone services. And US Bank Cash+ allows you to select 2 categories for 5% cash back, one of those categories is Cell Phone

Total $443,800
Message 6 of 26
IWOL
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replys.

Im in Cali so I cant get the Huntington card yet , unless they open it up to everyone in the US.

Was mostly looking to max out cashback on power and gas bill which averages around $650 a month.

Message 7 of 26
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

I love my Barclay Rewards card.

It does consider my Sprint wireless as a utility so I would assume it would for most other wireless providers as well. 

They give 2% on my cable bill, electric, water, trash, as well.

Plus the 2% for gas and groceries is nice.  Though there may be better cards in these categories. (I/E BoA is 3% on gas always,  Freedom is 5% if in a category)

I use it mainly to pay all my utilities, and occasionally for other 2% categories. The rewards add up pretty quick though just from utility category.

The downside is that mine has a pretty steep interest rate. But I don't mind.

The things I use it for get paid monthly anyway so unless I take them up on a balance trasfer its not an issue for me.

At anycount, I would recommend them. Especially as a everyday expense card (utility)

Ive only had mine a short time but Barclays have been nothing but excellent towards me thus far.

Message 8 of 26
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Thanks for the replys.

Im in Cali so I cant get the Huntington card yet , unless they open it up to everyone in the US.

Was mostly looking to max out cashback on power and gas bill which averages around $650 a month.

You might wanna consider the BCP with gas cards, I buy 300/mo of Arco gas cards when doing groceries (Vons or Ralphs) w my BCP to get 6% back.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 9 of 26
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Thanks for the replys.

You might wanna consider the BCP with gas cards, I buy 300/mo of Arco gas cards when doing groceries (Vons or Ralphs) w my BCP to get 6% back.

I think they are referring to a gas furnace. ie Natural gas, or the equivalent.

I don't think normal gas station cashback cards work on natural gas. As far as I recall, they don't work on Diesel when purchased at a truck stop, so I assume they are fairly restrictive on their definition of a Gas Station.

Total $443,800
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.