Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card recommendation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card recommendation

I'm currently in the mortgage process and should close sometime in mid-to-late November. This is my first home purchase and we have a lot to buy to furnish (furniture, electronics, tools, yard equipment, ultimately materials to finish the basement). I would really like to find a card with 12 months of no interest, if possible, and a limit of around $5k, min. I currently have 3 cards with a total limit of $11,500 and a UTI of 1%. My scores:

Eq Bankcard-8: 744

Eq Bankcard-5: 727

Tu Bankcard-8: 741

Tu Bankcard-4: 706

Ex Bankcard-8: 716

Ex Bankcard-2: 729

Ex Fico-3: 673

Can anybody recommend a card that can accomodate my needs? 

11 REPLIES 11
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Re: Card recommendation

That cards to you currently hold? Balances?

Do you have a way in to NFCU?

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ldkcivilservant wrote:

That cards to you currently hold? Balances?

Do you have a way in to NFCU?

Hey @ldkcivilservant I appreciate the reply. Here's what I got: 

Capital One Quick Silver One (MC): $108/$3000

Capital One Platinum (MC): $0/$6500

Chase Southwest (Visa): $0/$2000

Pretty sure that I don't have a way in to NFCU, unfortunately. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It won't get you furniture per se, but any homeowner could do a lot worse than a Lowe's card. Mine is one of my most-used cards, a few times a week easily. There's always something I can use there.

Message 4 of 12
GrandBaker
Contributor

U.S. Bank Platinum has 0% APR for 20 billing cycles.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/visa-platinum-credit-card.html

Congratulations on the house!

Message 5 of 12
GrandBaker
Contributor

AMEX Everyday card also has a 0% APR for 15 billing cycles but regardless of your credit limit you can only balance transfer $5,000 (if you are thinking in that direction).

Message 6 of 12
sxa001
Valued Contributor

If it were me I would choose a rewards card that also had an intro purchase APR.  Chase Freedom Flex is doing 0% for 15 months right now.  Below I pasted the rewards, you can see it's a pretty solid cashback card (or you can redeem the awards with transfer partners or travel on their portal).  I am pretty biased as I am pretty well sold on this card but you would also get your 0% APR financing so seems like a solid pick 

Chase Freedom Flex℠'s Rewards

• Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
  • Earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
  • Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
  • Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1% on all other purchases.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate the responses! Now i'm just wondering if my credit is good enough to qualify for some of these awesome deals...

Message 8 of 12
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Appreciate the responses! Now i'm just wondering if my credit is good enough to qualify for some of these awesome deals...

As long as your income is good and your FICO8(?) is in line with the bank card scores and assuming you're under 5 new revolver accounts (credit cards and lines of credit) I'd like to think you'd have a great shot at the chase card mentioned up thread.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@addicted_to_credit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As long as your income is good and your FICO8(?) is in line with the bank card scores and assuming you're under 5 new revolver accounts (credit cards and lines of credit) I'd like to think you'd have a great shot at the chase card mentioned up thread.

They are...I think that I'm going to go for it...right after closing, that is! I might ask my Loan Processer if I can do it beforehand, but I really dont want to take the chance of screwing anything up. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.