Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards That Decline w/ a Soft Pull?

tag
TenaciousRebuilder
New Contributor

Cards That Decline w/ a Soft Pull?

Other than Amex, can anyone name some cards that will only soft pull you if you are declined?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards That Decline w/ a Soft Pull?

I have seen Amex doing a HP and then decline.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 15
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

AMEX only does that if you are already a cardholder. 

Message 3 of 15
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

do you have to be logged into your account when you apply? or does the system cross reference and know that you are an existing member? Thanks

Message 4 of 15
Lynnst
Valued Member

When I app'd with AmEx last year it was a hard pull and a decline.  I have never had a card with them though.

Message 5 of 15
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

OP if you apply from your home account management screen for (another card) it will link you as an existing carholder and will result in a SP... just got shot down for the Amex BCE and it was a SP only Smiley Sad At least thats what happened with me ... YMMV

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 6 of 15
TenaciousRebuilder
New Contributor

Although that info about Amex is good, we're getting a little off track. I would like to know card companies that will only soft pull you if you are declined - excluding Amex. I am particularly interested in Discover, Chase, Barclays and BOA but any non-Amex cards are appreciated. Thanks.

Message 7 of 15
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@TenaciousRebuilder wrote:

Although that info about Amex is good, we're getting a little off track. I would like to know card companies that will only soft pull you if you are declined - excluding Amex. I am particularly interested in Discover, Chase, Barclays and BOA but any non-Amex cards are appreciated. Thanks.

none of those banks will decline without a HP. Your best bet is to see if you are pre-qualified for one of their credit cards. Chase, Bofa, Citi and Barclays have that option. If they have offers for you then you increase your chance of getting approved (with a HP still).

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 8 of 15
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@TenaciousRebuilder wrote:

none of those banks will decline without a HP. Your best bet is to see if you are pre-qualified for one of their credit cards. Chase, Bofa, Citi and Barclays have that option. If they have offers for you then you increase your chance of getting approved (with a HP still).

Yeah, I dont think it exists, atleast not mainstream. American Express is an oddity.

Message 9 of 15
thecentury303
New Contributor

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

do you have to be logged into your account when you apply? or does the system cross reference and know that you are an existing member? Thanks

I am curious about this too. Any suggestions?

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.