cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards that have primary coverage for rental cars?

tag
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Cards that have primary coverage for rental cars?

I tried googling but didn't get much results. Only Diner's Club and the United Airlines Card from Chase. Does anyone know of any other cards that will cover your rental insurance as primary and not secondary? I mostly fly Hawaiian Air since I live on Oahu and it wouldn't be worth the $95 annual fee for me on the UA card.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cards that have primary coverage for rental cars?

Amex -- you actually have to decline the insurance that the rental provides to use.
Message 2 of 10
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:
Amex -- you actually have to decline the insurance that the rental provides to use.

I thought you had to opt in or pay extra or something for that.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 3 of 10
dilettante
Established Contributor

A few cards I know of that have PCDW: Chase Fairmont Visa ($95 AF), JPM Chase Ritz Carlton ($395 AF), JPM Palladium ($595 AF and only available for Chase CPC clients or JPM Private Bank clients), JPM Select ($95 AF and only available for JPM Private Bank clients and will be discontinued this month).

Message 4 of 10
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

I know for the opt in (AMEX PRG at least) that you pay a $24.95 fee for 30 days rental and it replaces the primary CDW/LDW. However from friends experience, don't expect it to be resolved very quickly, as claims can take a significant portion of time to be sorted out (though extent of damage in his case may have been the cause). I think any other coverage is secondary.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 5 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@jasonkm1 wrote:

I tried googling but didn't get much results.

What keywords were you using?  Just did a quick Google search (only using "credit card primary coverage") and second hit is the Frugal Travel Guy site that lists a few other options.  Didn't dig through the other hits but they all seem to be directly relevant.

@Leadberry wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

AmEx's premium coverage is primary and comes with a fee per rental.  The coverage included on their cards for free is secondary.

Message 6 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I've noticed that on my sky, and delta there is a buried option in settings, where I can "add" to my card, but I've never really played with it. I'm the dummy that always buys CDW.

*edit: forgot to quote. This is directed at Leadbelly.

Message 7 of 10
alexvale
Contributor

DiscoverIT has Rental Auto Insurance as part of the perks.  You just have to waiver the insurance fee when doing the reservation.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/auto-insurance.html 

There's more info on the members page, they cover ~$25k secondary collisions.  This is part of their travel well program for cardholders.

Found a list of top cards with autoinsurance and what they offer: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/compare-credit-cards-rental-car-insurance-policies-1273....

EQ FICO - 835
TU FICO - 815
EX FICO 820
Message 8 of 10
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Make sure you review your terms and conditions for your account.  AMEX does cover primary (for the 19.95 or 24.95 fee depending on where you live) but it only covers primary for collision damage. If you have the misfortune of getting in a injury accident, you still must make a claim on your personal insurance to cover the person's injuries (if you are at fault) and damage to the other involved vehicle. It is theft and damage insurance only, liability coverage is  NOT included.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 9 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Leadberry wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

You do. It's a minimal fee, however.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.