cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards that work for Walmart Supercenters?

tag
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards that work for Walmart Supercenters?

All (over 10 stores) except for one of my Walmarts code as GROCERY STORES/ SUPERMARKETS/ BAKERIES - 5411 

Message 11 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Your best bet is a flat 2% card. You won't have to worry about coding inconsistencies that way. The cards I'm aware of that give more than 2% on grocery (i.e. Amex BCE) never give Walmart as a bonus. So if you are going to get 2% (maybe) on another card, may as well just use a flat 2% and be guaranteed.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know my Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa gives me 3x points at my local Walmart supercenter..Screenshot_20180925-194501.png

Message 13 of 23
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I had the same question a while ago and I'm still looking for a good card for walmart. BoA and cap1 code as groceries but I'm looking for something better, preferably without a quarterly cap. Haven't found anything so far, may have to settle with a 2% card.

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 14 of 23
TyRacing
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

AMEX specifically mentions Walmart as not counting for grocery/supermarket spending. You may get lucky with the merchant coding for your particular Walmart but for the most part it'll not count. I do believe the BofA Cash Rewards counts for 2% because of the Visa network as an option, dunno about the Savor. But honestly if you really want to shop at Walmart (not online) you're probably better off using a generic 2% cashback card like the Citi DC for example for shopping there. Occasionally Discover and Chase will do quarterly categories for 5% there (warehouse for Disco and Chase Pay through the Walmart app) but for those other times it's not in play better using a 2% card.

When I checked that every Walmart in southern AZ codes as grocery, my BoA Cash Rewards & Cap One Savor give me 2% as a grocery, whether a super center or not.

So you guys do get 2% with your BoA Cash & Cap1 Savor at Walmart or other Grocery stores? Are your cards MasterCards or Visa?

My Local Walmart Supercenter MCC codes as "GROCERY STORES/ SUPERMARKETS/ BAKERIES - 5411" on the Visa Supplier Locator Site. and my UsBank Cash+ Visa does get 2% at this Walmart (just earned $2.45 out of $122.29 the other day) and other Grocery stores. But would like to use the Cash+ 2% on Restaurants and PC my BankAmericard to the Cash Rewards to use the 2% at Walmart or other Grocery stores.

Yes can use my 5% Freedom with Walmart and Chase Pay on Q4

Yeah the Citi DC or PayPal CB Flat 2% would be the best but would need to wait to get 2 more Chase cards to pass the 5/24 rule

Have the Following:

CashBack Cards Goals: Citi Rewards+

Note to Self: Focus on the Abundance of Love and you shall have more!

Message 15 of 23
601flyguy
Established Contributor

From my research MasterCard and Visa code most Walmarts as groceries.
My BoA is Visa, cap1 is MasterCard
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my US Bank Altitude Reserve on Samsung pay and get 3% that redeems for travel at 4 1/2%. This card works for just about all my spend and essentially get 4 1/2% back on everything except for gas and restraunts since I only redeem for travel. Highly recommend this card.

Message 17 of 23
601flyguy
Established Contributor

@Surffisher

Is there a quarterly limit?
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 18 of 23
TyRacing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I use my US Bank Altitude Reserve on Samsung pay and get 3% that redeems for travel at 4 1/2%. This card works for just about all my spend and essentially get 4 1/2% back on everything except for gas and restraunts since I only redeem for travel. Highly recommend this card.

so can redeem the 3x points as cashback or only as travel credit?

Have the Following:

CashBack Cards Goals: Citi Rewards+

Note to Self: Focus on the Abundance of Love and you shall have more!

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

No limits, and really easy redemption.$400 annual fee but $325 travel credit and a bunch of other benefits that have this a free card for me.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.