Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards to get before going to garden

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cards to get before going to garden

Current stats
Discover Cash 18%apr-8k (160$) PIF each month I'm just doing my monthly Bill's on this.

Credit Union 1.5% cash 12%apr-5k (350$) coming down 50-75$ each month. This is incidentals and debt distribution. Snow tire purchase being paid down.

All these have 0$ balance and never carry a balance. Those % rates ouch!
Wayfair-1550
Victoria-500
Children's Place-500

I'd like a credit card to either JCP, Macy's, Dillards or Kohls. Kohls at least does a preapproval. Of the 2 who tends to have the higher starting limit or gives CLIs more generously?

I'd also like another credit card that's likely to give a good starting limit such as 5-8k like my discover did and also gives CLIs within 3 months or so.

After this I'd like to go to garden other than requesting cli from my cards.

My FICO 8 scores
Exp-673
Equ-638
TU-664

I have a charge of from Honda dec 2016
I have a collection from a gym membership dec 2016 also
I have no late payments in the last 2 years come November.
Oldest account is 6 years. Newest is 1 month (discover)

My goal is to get the collection and charge off to agree to pfd. I've had no luck over the last year.
As of now I'd just like to open a clothing store card that runs great rewards and sales with a good limit so it doesnt affect my uti and one more big bank credit card with travel rewards(if possible)

I've tried the pre-approval on chase, Citi, and amex to no success. Capital one was preapproved but is that a good card with good limits and increases?
15 REPLIES 15
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards to get before going to garden

You might get good advice if you posted this in the Rebuilding area. My immediate reaction is that I would be very purposeful getting a store card. The only one I have is Amazon, and that's because I shop a lot at Amazon either way. Store cards are not counted the same as bank cards. That said, I don't know anything about the particular store cards you listed.

I also don't know much about how Capital One CLs increase (don't have one), but otherwise, Capital One is a decent non-predatory company, and depending on the card, may be the pick of the litter from what you listed. If you have your pick of Capital One cards, I'd look at Savor and QuickSilver (the one with no annual fee). If you only qualify for one or two, I'd get the Platinum. The reason is that after a few months, you can switch it to the no-AF QuickSilver. If you get the $39 AF QuickSilver, you can't change it later. At least, so I've read (I haven't personally tried). JMO, good luck.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores are similar to yours and I got a Cap 1 with a $3500 SL. Exactly one year later that card was upgraded to QS World Elite with an 8k limit. Moral of the story, don't sleep on Cap 1. 

Message 3 of 16
McNugget
Regular Contributor

I'd suggest Capital One as well, probably the regular Quicksilver.  I believe they HP all three agencies, though.  I'd think you'd maybe get a 2k -ish limit.

I'm not sure which store card wouldn't affect your UTI if you carry a balance.  Most do report to the agencies.

| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 4 of 16
McNugget
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are similar to yours and I got a Cap 1 with a $3500 SL. Exactly one year later that card was upgraded to QS World Elite with an 8k limit. Moral of the story, don't sleep on Cap 1. 

Hot **bleep**.  

My QS treated me well, but I just don't reach for it much anymore so it hasn't grown to its full potential.  

| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 5 of 16
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

As others said, be wary of store cards because they affect your insurance score. You can end up paying a lot more in car and home insurance because you have had even one store card in the last two years. Not all cards issued by stores are store cards, however. If the card also carries the name of one of the credit card networks (Amex, Discover, Mastercard, or Visa), it is not considered a store card.

For example, Macy's issues an Amex card, which is not considered a store card. There is also a Sak's Mastercard and a Nordstom Visa (also not store cards). I'm not sure about the other stores you mentioned, but it's worth looking more closely. If you choose to apply for a store issued card, double-triple-quadruple check that you're applying for the network card, and not a store card (and be even more careful if you apply in store, as the customer service reps get confused).

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you elaborate?  I've never heard, "be wary of store cars because they affect your insurance score. You can end up paying a lot more in car and home insurance because you have had even one store card in the last two years. "  How does that affect your score?

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you elaborate?  I've never heard, "be wary of store cars because they affect your insurance score. You can end up paying a lot more in car and home insurance because you have had even one store card in the last two years. "  How does that affect your score?

Its related to your CBIS or credit based insurance score calculated/provided by Lexis Nexis.  In most (47) states, insurance scores are used to help determine auto and home insurance rates and those scores can be dinged by the presence of non-bankcard revolving accounts such as store cards.  See this thread for more information: Too Many Credit Cards

Message 8 of 16
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Do a search here. Store cards lower your insurance scores significantly. Enough that I closed my one store card and won't open another. Here are a couple of threads to get you started:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Car-Insurance-and-Store-Cards/m-p/4846517

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/quot-Credit-based-insurance-score-quot/td-p/4...

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover Cash - 8K
Credit Union - 5K

All these have 0$ balance and never carry a balance. Those % rates ouch!
Wayfair-1550
Victoria-500
Children's Place-500

I'd like a credit card to either JCP, Macy's, Dillards or Kohls. Of the 2 (you listed 4 cards) who tends to have the higher starting limit or gives CLIs more generously?

I'd also like another credit card that's likely to give a good starting limit such as 5-8k like my discover did and also gives CLIs within 3 months or so.
then don't go down the retail road.... Kohl's caps at 3K period and won't grow beyond that.  Dillards (WF/AX network) and Macy's (DSNB/Citi/AX Network) at least have non-captive options.
After this I'd like to go to garden other than requesting cli from my cards.

My FICO 8 scores
Exp-673
Equ-638
TU-664

As of now I'd just like to open a clothing store card that runs great rewards and sales with a good limit so it doesnt affect my uti 
one more big bank credit card with travel rewards(if possible) Have you looked into cards?  https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-offers/

I've tried the pre-approval on chase, Citi, and amex to no success. Capital one was preapproved but is that a good card with good limits and increases? Pre-app sites aren't golden anyway.  I never had any for Citi or Amex over the years and have cards with both of them now, Amex sitting at 2 cards aggregate 55K and Ciit 2 cards currently at 39K.  I never had any luck with Chase either and have an aggregate of 70K+ with them now in the last couple of years and also BOA pre-app isn't more than marketing but, I did score 10K with them that in 2 short years jumped to 65K.

Yes, your CBIS scoring is affected when you have too many retail cards and those retail cards don't do much for your ability to have the ability if you need to carry a balance the higher CL's that afford you the ability to keep the numbers lower.  

It's tempting to save a buck when shopping but, credit shouldn't be like your keyring tags that you swipe to get a discount.  I had the Macy's Amex for awhile but, never really used it beyond the intial discount at the register and finally just kicked them to the curb because it was just clutter to deal with. Cap1 joined Macy's fate as well the same day.

With scores in the mid 6's the options might be a little more limited when it comes to some of the more glam cards but, you're close enough to pick up an Amex which would be 1000x more productive than more store cards because 1) it's a major issuer and 2) it has immense potential to grow with CLI's.  

CU's are great for low APR options but their rewards tend to be not so great.  I keep 3-4 of them around for backups but, they don't see the light of day usually because they lack any real benefits outside of age/low apr.  As your scores go up though both the CU and Disco cards will reduce your APR if you ask them every once in awhile.... IIRC you can ask Disco every 6-12 months and the CU's vary / might require a HP to check the rate reduction.

Right now I would save Chase for when you're more secure with your profile stats.  It's not gong to be worth the double pull right now.

Depending on where you are there are some othe regional banks to consider like BBVA/BBT/PNC/Regions and so on.  Some of them offer really good options.  

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.