cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards you've laid out to pasture (August edition)

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Cards you've laid out to pasture (August edition)

So many have us obtain cards and share our stories about them and journey getting there, but what about the cards you've laid to rest.  I'm not talking an SD party. Permantely.  RIP.  Put to pasture.  

What cards are you canceled and cut up?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards you've laid out to pasture (August edition)

@Razeus wrote:

So many have us obtain cards and share our stories about them and journey getting there, but what about the cards you've laid to rest.  I'm not talking an SD party. Permantely.  RIP.  Put to pasture.  

HSBC BestBuy Rewardzone MC  600 CL  $69 AF

HSBC Sears MC  400 CL R.I.P $39 AF 

CapOne Platinum Rewards $500 $39 AF  ( thought it was zero AF fee card was pissed and closed it  1 month of open history and 10 years reporting) 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 27
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Since rebuilding: Orchard Bank and First Premier. They served their purpose, but I'm thrilled to be done with them.

Not quite put out to pasture, but being repurposed: Cap1 No Hassle Cash Rewards MC. It only has a $750CL and will probably never grow with me. The BankAmericard Cash Rewards that I was approved for over the weekend will take it's place. But, my DD is in her early 20s and I spoke with her about the need to begin establishing her credit. I just put her on as an AU and this will be her card so that she can establish some sort of history and then get a card of her own in a year or so. She'll be inheriting almost two years of history, all of it spotless. We've discussed how it should be used and have established guidelines for her spending. Since I monitor all of my accounts like a hawk, I'll be able to see that she's handling it responsibly. I think that this is a good opportunity for her and I believe that she'll do well with it.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Razeus wrote:

RIP Forever:

In 2008 I laid to rest a Cap 1 card with a $750 limit and a Chase Freedom with a $200 limit. At that time I moved forward with Discover More which had a $1500 limit at that time.

Cards which have been resurrected from the grave (spooky I know right?!): 

In 1999 I applied for Discover in order to get a free t-shirt, I was 18 yrs old.  I applied using my mom's address.  Then promptly forgot about the card. Fast forward to 2006.  I was newly separated single mom, ex husband cleaned out accounts. I had a job interview in Oklahoma (I am from Louisiana).  I had NO money.   My mom decides that its time to dig in her sock drawer and pull out the Discover that had been hiding there for 7 years with no usage.  I called the number on the card.  Wow. Still open, 1200 limit. Enough to get me to Oklahoma, I got an interview outfit and accepted the job when it was offered.  The card is now 13 yrs old and is a permanent part of my collection.

In 2003 I applied for a JCP card to get a discount for new bras.   I got the discount, paid the bill, and cut up the card when it came in. Fast forward to March 2012.  I see this account still reporting as open on my CR... however the account data had not been updated since 2004.  Feeling brave, I called GE and spoke with them about this JCP account.  I verified that I was who I said I was and they used a soft pull to go through an identification verification. Bam, account is still open. The card had been CLD to $124.  They asked me how much I needed, I said... hmm, how about $600.  Instantly approved, they sent me a replacement card.  I got an Auto CLI to 1100 back in April.   

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 27
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

I got rid of all my capital one cards. I don't see the need anymore with my new freedom and  NFCU. I rather not have low limit cards show up anymore as I'd like to get a CSP soon.

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've cut up a few but haven't cancelled them yet..

Merrick bank, credit one bank and my capital one will all be put to sleep after we get the keys to our first house!

Message 6 of 27
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I'll be putting my Capital One card to rest for good as soon as my new cards arrive.  It's gotten me through some tough times, but I've managed it well, but now we must part ways, thanks to an annual fee that does nothing for me, CapOne's inability to upgrade my account, and inability to CLI my line.  Plus they try too hard and their commercials are annoying, lol.

The Barclay's Visa will be put to death as well, due to its low limits.  I may miss getting free iTunes gift cards in the mail from time to time however, but I'm able to get much better rewards now.

It's been a nice journey.  But the time as come to put them down.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 7 of 27
learnin113
Established Contributor

Old Navy.  They wont CLI and they wont upgrade. So, goodbye.

Message 8 of 27
swpopham
Established Contributor

I just axed my freedom card and combined limits with the csp. I maxed the 5% categories out in the first month so it serves no additional purpose after that!

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 9 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom $5k

Barclay iTunes Visa $3k

Citi Thankyou $4800 

Macy's $800

JCP $2400

TJX Rewards $3000

PayPal Smart Connect $3500

Goodyear $2000

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.