cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards you've laid out to pasture (September 2012 edition)

tag
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: Cards you've laid out to pasture (September 2012 edition)

After the real ugly rebulders, i.e. First Premiere, Credit One etc, Cap 1 is usually the next guy to go. For me its not really because it was bad card or bad customer service. The simple truth is that for most, they refuse to grow with you. Cap 1 could easily be a contender if they would just offer those they gave a chance to early on, a shot at prime cards or bigger limits as their credit improves.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 21 of 31
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@CreditEd wrote:

Credit One. I'd tried to do the "threaten to close" thing, and they took my up on it...

Good thing. I canned it before I knew how bad the company actually was. Had no idea that they weren't gonna give me a CL no matter what I said.

Cap1 Platinum next

I got a 100.00 increase. I started out with 200.00 in 09. I'll axe them eventually but it will bawhile. Never had any issues

Now CAP1, deuces. 

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 22 of 31
FicoTron
Established Contributor

Threw my Orchard card in my trunk, went to my moms house and told her I hit a deer and needed to borrow a chefs knife cause the hoof was stuck in the grill. After she made me breakfast I drove upstate and stabbed that card dead, dug a 6 ft hole, and buried that piece of garbage.  Now I'm gonna go home and get my shine box.

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 23 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

^LOL

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 24 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

All of 'em about 15 years ago. Just used a debit card for convenience. Big mistake. Lost all my credit history which was quite long. Didn't realize the importance of credit cards until I looked into why I was having a hard time using a debit card for car rentals and hotels.  Duh.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 25 of 31
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

@FicoTron wrote:

Threw my Orchard card in my trunk, went to my moms house and told her I hit a deer and needed to borrow a chefs knife cause the hoof was stuck in the grill. After she made me breakfast I drove upstate and stabbed that card dead, dug a 6 ft hole, and buried that piece of garbage.  Now I'm gonna go home and get my shine box.

Good fellas popped in my head, anyone else?Smiley LOL

Message 26 of 31
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

funny!

@angelnyc wrote:

@FicoTron wrote:

Good fellas popped in my head, anyone else?Smiley LOL

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 27 of 31
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I will be the oddball for the thread, I am cancelling my AMEX Gold Premier Rewards before the AF hits (2/13). I just don't use it enough to justify the $175.00 AF. I am thinking about cancelling it now, and taking the prorated AF to use towards the upgrade fee for the AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass. I have the regular HH card and use it frequently. Not really concerned about losing one AMEX, as I will still have HH and BCP. I am planning on apping for the Starwood card, probably in February.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 28 of 31
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Axed Macy's on Monday, had the card since 2009 and only really used it only during holidays, the 15%, 20% coupons they would mail really didn't help me since it could only be used on certain purchases, the card outlived it usefulness, especially after they slashed my limit because of inactivity, that just made putting it on the chopping board that much easier Smiley Happy Next up is CapOne $500 cl since 2009, no cli's...They may make it til the end of the week, depends on what mood I'm in...Smiley Very Happy

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 29 of 31
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I thought Macy's gave you 15% off every time you used your card regardless of coupons.  I shop there alot and been thinking about having this as my sole store card.  But if it's not 15% everytime I make a purchase (and able to combine that with coupons) then I guess it's not worth it.

Update: I'm itching to axe Capital One, but like I said before, I'm waiting for a dispute to clear up.  I might give it a couple of months just to make sure my new cards from AMEX, Chase and Discover are up and running with 3 months of age before I chop it.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.