Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit CLI Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Care Credit CLI Advice

I hope this is under the right topic, sorry if not!

background info is that my husband has a care credit card with a small 800 limit that hes had for about 3 years. got it for wisdom teeth surgery paid it off as required. just recently used it again and will make the final payment on dec 7th.

I am having surgery Feb 2nd, patient coordinator said for us to come in 2 weeks prior for the pre-op appointment and at that time they would apply for the credit limit increase for us, not to do it directly through care credit. is there any advantage to having the doctor's office do it for us?

We are trying to time our apps, because there's something on amazon we want for christmas but are worried that if we apply for the amazon card before the care credit that it might effect the CLI. My ideal scenario would be app for care credit soon for the CLI directly through care credit, that reports and is a positive, then app for amazon, then put the surgery on care credit.

any advice? thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Care Credit CLI Advice

@Anonymous wrote:

background info is that my husband has a care credit card with a small 800 limit that hes had for about 3 years. got it for wisdom teeth surgery paid it off as required. just recently used it again and will make the final payment on dec 7th.

I am having surgery Feb 2nd, patient coordinator said for us to come in 2 weeks prior for the pre-op appointment and at that time they would apply for the credit limit increase for us, not to do it directly through care credit. is there any advantage to having the doctor's office do it for us?

We are trying to time our apps, because there's something on amazon we want for christmas but are worried that if we apply for the amazon card before the care credit that it might effect the CLI. My ideal scenario would be app for care credit soon for the CLI directly through care credit, that reports and is a positive, then app for amazon, then put the surgery on care credit.

Would prob still be a HP.  I got Care Credit a few months ago and they gave me $15.6 and I called in within 24hrs so they could use the same pull and was denied, tried to go to $25K.  Read here that you have to ask within 24hrs of original approval, after that, all CLIs are HPs.  Not sure if doctors calling will change that, but will prob give a CLI, but be prepared for the HP.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Would prob still be a HP.  I got Care Credit a few months ago and they gave me $15.6 and I called in within 24hrs so they could use the same pull and was denied, tried to go to $25K.  Read here that you have to ask within 24hrs of original approval, after that, all CLIs are HPs.  Not sure if doctors calling will change that, but will prob give a CLI, but be prepared for the HP.

thank you, we are prepared for HP just wanted to get the care credit CLI taken care of before worrying about amazon. i'm not sure why we were told not to app for the CLI on our own. It worries me waiting until just 2 weeks before the surgery.

Message 3 of 26
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you, we are prepared for HP just wanted to get the care credit CLI taken care of before worrying about amazon. i'm not sure why we were told not to app for the CLI on our own. It worries me waiting until just 2 weeks before the surgery.

You will prob get the CLI, just make sure you have an amount that you want.  I would say ask for the max, $25K and they will counter with what they will give.  You want more than just what it will cost so that you don't hit high utilization, IMO.

Message 4 of 26
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

This is just my opinion, wait for others before deciding what to do.

It is possible, the PC may be able to get the full amount you will need, but what if, 2 weeks before you need it, you are denied? Do you know how much credit you will need to cover this? Me, personally, I would call CareCredit now and ask for a CLI, then, have the PC call in Feb, if you need more.

In my experience, I don't think a CLI on CareCredit should affect your Amazon app, or vice versa.

Message 5 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. No there is absolutely no advantage to hav\ing the doctor's office do it; in my opinion it would be a major disadvantage.

2.  No matter how you apply for a CLI with CareCredit there will be 1 hard pull on your TU report.

3. The absolute best way to do it is as follows:

(a) call and ask for a credit limit increase

(b) ask for a really big number

(c) in most cases they will either give it to you or give you a nice counteroffer

In my case I asked for a $7200 increase, and they gave me a $9200 (or 330%) increase.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Don't really think it makes a difference who calls as it still depends on your overall credit profile/merit whether the Dr's office call or you call.. It will be a HP to your TU reprort. Best of luck.  

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You will prob get the CLI, just make sure you have an amount that you want.  I would say ask for the max, $25K and they will counter with what they will give.  You want more than just what it will cost so that you don't hit high utilization, IMO.

i have heard the 25k for counter before, i agree on asking for more for utilization purposes. thanks Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Countingpennies wrote:

This is just my opinion, wait for others before deciding what to do.

It is possible, the PC may be able to get the full amount you will need, but what if, 2 weeks before you need it, you are denied? Do you know how much credit you will need to cover this? Me, personally, I would call CareCredit now and ask for a CLI, then, have the PC call in Feb, if you need more.

In my experience, I don't think a CLI on CareCredit should affect your Amazon app, or vice versa.

definitely agree..i do NOT want to get stuck 2 weeks before my surgery trying to figure out how to come up with 6 grand, because if i move it i lose my $670 deposit! thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. No there is absolutely no advantage to hav\ing the doctor's office do it; in my opinion it would be a major disadvantage.

2.  No matter how you apply for a CLI with CareCredit there will be 1 hard pull on your TU report.

3. The absolute best way to do it is as follows:

(a) call and ask for a credit limit increase

(b) ask for a really big number

(c) in most cases they will either give it to you or give you a nice counteroffer

In my case I asked for a $7200 increase, and they gave me a $9200 (or 330%) increase.

that's what i'm thinking too, thank you so much!

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.