Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit

tag
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Care Credit

My stepson lost half a tooth last night and has no dental insurance.

He is in the rebuilding stage right now and will apply for Care Credit irregardless of what his scores or history are although his credit isn't terrible.

The question I have is should he apply before going to see the dentist and just request a random  figure ( and most likely wouldn't get) like 5K ?.....and then they will counter with what he actually qualifies for ? There by having extra on the card for any other reason it could be used for in the future. 

Or should he see the dentist and apply at the office with the figure they give him he needs ? ( i.e. they procedure is $630 so apply for $630 and max max the utility immediately).

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Care Credit

He can apply before going. Have him aim high on the SL and they will counter lower if necessary.

Make sure he chooses a dentist that accepts Care Credit. Should, for any reason, he need more available credit on the card, many have reported luck in having the doctor’s office call in and request more to cover the procedure.

Hope it all goes well! Dentist’s visits suck!
Message 2 of 10
rbentley
Established Contributor

I had considered this card for some dental expenses.  It was not accepted by my prefered dentist.  I tried two other possibilities and they also didn't accept the card.  I would check out your desired provider before you apply.

I also didn't find the terms that attractive.  There are many cards that offer 0% promotional financinng for period of a year or slightly more.

I ultimately took out a very low interest signature loan from my CU to pay the expenses.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - as I’m sure you know, the Care Credit website has a provider search that allows you to find providers that accept Care Credit.

They do also offer no interest periods for costs over a certain amount. For example, 6 months no interest in charges over $200.

My DW has the card. We use it for unexpected veterinary costs that we may wish to extend payment out for a no interest period.
Message 4 of 10
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

In our area there are quite a few providers according to the Care Credit website.

That shouldn't be the issue.

My stepson is thinking of refi for his vehicle in the near future so the utility issue I mentioned in the orinorig post is a consderation.

That's one reason I asked if he should seek a higher limit before the visit so he isn't maxed immediately.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaxstraw wrote:

In our area there are quite a few providers according to the Care Credit website.

My stepson is thinking of refi for his vehicle in the near future so the utility issue I mentioned in the orinorig post is a consderation.

That's one reason I asked if he should seek a higher limit before the visit so he isn't maxed immediately.

Sorry about your stepson’s tooth...

Yes, he should ask for more. I was approved earlier this month. I asked for $10k citing a dental procedure and was approved for $6k. 

I hope it works out. Good luck!

Message 6 of 10
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@jaxstraw wrote:

Yes, you are correct. You do not want the card reporting more than 68% (28.9% if you can help it) maxed on utilization. Asking for more doesnt hurt anyone and it should be done prior to going to the dentist. If the procedure is $500 the dentist may ask for $500 which will immediately report maxed. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 7 of 10
Gollum
Established Contributor

@jaxstraw wrote:

He is in the rebuilding stage right now and will apply for Care Credit irregardless of what his scores or history are although his credit isn't terrible.

The question I have is should he apply before going to see the dentist and just request a random  figure ( and most likely wouldn't get) like 5K ?.....and then they will counter with what he actually qualifies for ? There by having extra on the card for any other reason it could be used for in the future. 

Or should he see the dentist and apply at the office with the figure they give him he needs ? ( i.e. they procedure is $630 so apply for $630 and max max the utility immediately).

Losing half a tooth suddenly can be either embarrassing or life-altering, depending on how much pain is involved. AFAIK, most of Care Credit financing is a loan agreement among the patient, the dentist, and the "bank," AKA Care Credit, with an extremely high interest rate if the loan is not repaid in full by the end of the "promotional" period. The length of the "promotional" period is chosen by the dentist.

Care Credit can apparently be used as some sort of "store credit card" at a specific chain of stores.

Your stepson's choices will probably be influenced by the level of pain he is in more than anything else.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 8 of 10
Gollum
Established Contributor

@jaxstraw wrote:

Your stepson's ability to refinance his vehicle loan is almost entirely dependent on what his vehicle is currently worth compared to what he currently owes on it: his vehicle can be either an asset or a liability. A vehicle is a fungible/exchangeable/returnable/negotiable thing.

IMHO, the two things (the broken tooth, and the vehicle refi) should be separate considerations.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely apply before the procedure; Care Credit has a drop down menu for authorized providers when you apply.

I applied today, asked for 8500 and approved in a few seconds.

Crowns aren't cheap!

@jaxstraw wrote:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.